Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Class >

Quilting Class

Quilting Class

Old 05-29-2011, 05:10 AM

A local community college has asked if I would like to teach a "quilting" class. I have been an adjunct teacher at this college for ten years, but this is the first time I will have taught and they will have offered anything related to "quilting." I think the marketing will be toward those who sew (and can bring a machine to class), but have never done any quilting. At a unrelated meeting last week, I may have met a potential student!!

I'm thinking of doing one evening class for two-three weeks and do a table runner or wall hanging.

Also, I have a lot (and I do mean a lot) of fat quarters and offering them for material so we won't waste any time getting started.

Have any of you taken or taught classes similar and have any pointers for me?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:13 AM

If you're going to be offering fabric, allow time for selection or you'll have people spending the whole class time period sorting through your fabric.

You could just offer kits.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Make sure you make a complete list of items they would need;
rotary cutter, cutting mat, scissors, rulers, sewing machine, etc., etc.,

I have been to classes that other people who are not prepared or not realize they needed a sewing machine (duh, a sewing class)

Question, is this suppose to be a 101 quilting class (for beginners) or will this be or a 201 class (some quilting knowledge and supplies). That will also make a difference in what directions you go. Most 101 students do not know what a rotary cutter is or how to work it and they might have a sewing machine but not know about 1/4" seam sewing or maybe not a 1/4 foot. Just food for thought
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 AM

If this is geared towards sewers that aren't quilters, I'd make up a packet of information to go over with them the first class. I just taught an intermediate class and assigned homework :-) thinking they at least knew the basics, but when they came back both sewed at 5/8" and ironed the seams open. :shock:

So grain of fabric, how to get an accurate 1/4" (maybe some different suggestions on this, because of the different types of machines some have), maybe explanation of different components (square, hst's, qst's, etc). Start off very, very basic and then show HOW to use rotary cutter (yep, some don't know the proper way of doing this :shock: SCARY!) Start with a project that incorporates squares, like a 9P so they can get their seam allowances set up correctly and then maybe turn it into a D9P at the end to give it some zing. :lol:

Good luck and keep your sense of humor! :lol:
Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM

I love to take classes. My favorite setting is for the 'class' to be pretty much on the same level. It isn't fun to sit and wait for the instructor to finish explaining rotary cutting, etc. when you have already done a few quilts. I prefer everyone doing the same project with choice of your own fabric. If possible, have everyone have their fabric already prepared and supplies in hand. IF you are doing beginner beginner, you might want to do kits. There is one advantage to everyone doing their own and different projects and that is you learn from all the others, but it sure does take away from class time. I took a class for 'bags' and it got me over the hump and I have enjoyed doing many more bags with my own touch. Good luck to you and enjoy your students!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 AM

I agree with the other suggestions.........make it clear what basic knowledge of sewing is..........sewing/quilting is not machine maintance (winding bobbin or threading) that is another chapter.....in addition, I would put the 1/4's in brown lunch bags ..........stating you get what you get. It is amazing how some Adults bicker over something free. How many students are you going to have? That too is a consideration, remembering you will probably have various levels of skill. When I was teaching it was fun and rewarding for me just to have someone walk away with a smile and saying "I learned something". And remember for you to have fun........maybe a preclass would be beneficial, tools, fabrics, one way prints etc..........calla
Old 05-29-2011, 06:47 AM

The length of the session has also to be taken into account. 2 hours isn't very long by the time you have explkanined demod and people are set up they have not much time before they have to pack up.

I usually run on the assupmtion it takes twice as long for your learners to do it as it does you.

Take as much equipment with you as you can muster. someone always forgets something or doesn't have some thing.

Keep the project simple and forgiving. You want them to sew a 1/4 inch seam, but it's better to have a project that just needs a consistant seam. as D9P is perfect for that beacuse there is scope for trimming down units before you sew the next stage and the item will end up as big as it is.

I have found it better to talk about equipment on the first day rather than give a list out in advance. Beginners enevitably get the wrong equipment or stuff they don't actually need. Ask them to bring what they have. Give your requirments list to the LQS and make sure they understand what you want and have the stuff in. That really helps. We don't have a LQS here so we mainly have to use a mail order company.

Kits are a great idea, becasue the person who said about fabrics is right. People can spend the whole lesson deciding on their fabrics. Limit choices and remember you will be left with anything not purchased. Try and keep your projects to fat quarters That way your kits are recyclable to different projects.

Hand outs and work sheets are realy importnat. They take time but taking the time to take pictures for every step of a project helps you break it down.

Be prepared, remember health and saftey, and enjoy yourself.

teaching quilting is my favourite pastime and I am privilidged to be able to earn part of my income from it. Don't tell my boss but I probably would do it for free... or ratehr the smiley faces of my learners when they mastyer something. :)

Becks
Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

ITA be very clear on what level the quilters should be at ... nothing more frustrating than to go to a class, and discover the teacher spends most of their time with someone who knows nothing about their sewing machine!

Also, if a basic beginners class, the wall hanging and runner may be too much of a challenge. And if you're giving them the fabric, too much cost from your part.

The idea of a brown surprise bag of fabric/supplies they need is a great idea for beginners to get a "taste" of quilting and to give them the bug! A lower cost to you .... and even if it's from your scraps, it's still a cost. Be sure that is included in the course fee and not as an add on when they get there! Only opens the door for more complaints (I don't like the colour. I didn't know I had to pay more. Too much $ for what we got.)

So how about a Mug Rug?

You do all the steps in making a quilt ... right thru to binding.

Wonder? could it be done all in one 3 hour class ... would be nice for them to go home with a completed project. (and maybe be just finishing up the hand stitching of the binding at home). For beginners it's all about completion and feeling success!! (isn't it for all of us)

Week two ... perhaps another Mug Rug with new techniques? Pot holder?

Part of Week Two or in Week Three ... how to's in purchasing/selecting fabric and supplies, using the table runner/topper samples for your next course to demonstrate poor/great choices! (marketing!!)

On week one, they aren't ready to learn about the shopping/selection part. If they like what they're doing, then they will listen up by Week two/three .... and too, are anxious to take the next course.

And now, you've easily "sold" them on the next course, as they've seen a few of your terrific table runner/toppers .... as well as those who aren't ready are finished, instead of dropping out of a long course.

Good Luck!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:39 AM

I think you have to be careful with the knowledge level of people when they walk in the door. I took a beginning quilting class and the instructor -and several of us students ended up having to teach basic machine usage (bobbin winding, threading, etc.) - it was a 6 week class, one week was in a fabric store doing fabric selection. The instructor did all the cutting (a LOT of work) and people were bummed that they didn't learn how to rotary cut. It's a year later and I know that only 4 of the 12 people actually finished their projects (it was a trip around the world that was twin size -MUCH too big for a beginner class; and the teacher hadn't ever made it using the pattern she had us using). So, whatever you make, be sure that you have made it first!

good luck!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SharBear
I think you have to be careful with the knowledge level of people when they walk in the door. I took a beginning quilting class and the instructor -and several of us students ended up having to teach basic machine usage (bobbin winding, threading, etc.) - it was a 6 week class, one week was in a fabric store doing fabric selection. The instructor did all the cutting (a LOT of work) and people were bummed that they didn't learn how to rotary cut. It's a year later and I know that only 4 of the 12 people actually finished their projects (it was a trip around the world that was twin size -MUCH too big for a beginner class; and the teacher hadn't ever made it using the pattern she had us using). So, whatever you make, be sure that you have made it first!

good luck!
OMG .... not a teacher I would return to, if she had never made the pattern before! Poor advertising on her part for your coming back, or giving referrals!

OP ..... As beginners they won't have rotary cutters, mats, rullers, etc. Too much to ask them to buy ... do you have enough (or can borrow) so there are not lineups?