Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and Sustainability >

Quilting and Sustainability

Quilting and Sustainability

Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

How many of us look for organic, sustainably farmed fibers, or non-GMO fabrics?
Not me. These types of fabrics are very overated and over priced. I buy 100% cotton, that's all I check for on the label.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Not me. These types of fabrics are very overated and over priced. I buy 100% cotton, that's all I check for on the label.
Frankly, most of the time I do too. But, I have tried some of the more popular, organic fabrics and I have to say that I really liked them. They all had a beautiful hand and most were sustainably grown and processed. I think that overall, they were worth the money. Most of them were bought on sale at around $9-10/yd, which is still more expensive than other quilting fabrics on sale at $3-5/yd.

~ C
Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

If we want sustainabiloty - which to me would be acquiring and using ONLY what we need - that would definitely change my lifestyle!

I think many of us have a lot more "stuff" than we need. How many cars can one drive at one time? How many clothes can one wear at one time? How many sewing machines can one sew on at one time? How many beds can one sleep on at one time?

I know that my quilting/ sewing accumulation is waaaaaaaay beyond basic functionality. And most of my stuff is "not new"

In my opinion, many of the quilters who are on the internet, are not into sustainability at this time.

Many of them are productive, but many of us seem to be in acquisition mode - bigger stash, more machines, newest gadgets/tools -

Last edited by bearisgray; 01-13-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I found the organic cotton fabric weaker then regular cotton fabric. The one baby quilt I made using the organic cotton fabric, the fabric tore at many of the seam lines and around the quilting. I also bought a very expensive organic cotton pillowslip (on sale) to make a backing for a bassinet blanket. It shredded at the binding seams after a couple of washes. I don't want to waste my time using it if the fabric itself isn't sustainable.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:49 AM

I am all for sustainability, but quilting is my passion, and I have never given it a thought. I don't think it would matter as I have no intention of stopping or being more frugal than I am with things in my sewing room
Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up

*** I reuse my Hexagon cut outs.
*** I make them from old credit cards, laminated mail outs, etc.
*** I am clean closets, eliminating clutter, and taking to Good Will or Salvatlon Army,
*** & books to a Reading Friend.

Last edited by jbj137; 01-13-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Long before I became a quilter I was taught to re-use items. Growing up a lot of my clothes were hand-me downs and home-made. (Either I made my clothes or my mom.) Both my parents saved bags, books, anything that may have a second life. Anyone remember when getting a plastic bag was a novelty? We kept them to use again. Bags for bread were used in a milk carton next to the kitchen sink to collect the garbage because we didn't have a disposal. My dad would bring home the extra napkins he would get in a restaurant to use with his watercolor painting. Oh, don't forget the 3 pound coffee cans with the plastic lids but still sharp edges - there were so many left in the basement, thank heavens for the the recycling bin when I was clearing out their house. Since we now have recycling bins and centers I don't keep a fraction of what I used to. And we do donate to local thrift stores if we believe there is more use from an item.

I prefer to give away my scraps - mostly because I don't have the imagination and dither too much over what to use next. And I have given a friend my left over batting because she uses small pieces for bags and purses. But I really like the idea of using it for padding of delicate items to be stored. I will try to remember that suggestion.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM

well, I use my skills acquired from quilting to fix clothing that I would otherwise throw or give away, ditto for towels and linens, amazing what some left over binding can do to a unraveling towel! and also what Tartan said.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:02 PM

When you have quilting friends or belong to a guild or charity quilting group, there is much opportunity for sharing and trading amongst yourselves - patterns, tools, fabrics, etc.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:29 AM

I am saving the whole world, I have figured that out!!!!!! I have my fabrics in plastic containers, boxes, drawer boxes all over the place. I love those plastic containers and if I can save the planet by rescuing all the boxes for my fabric, thread, needles, ribbons, embroidery thread, scissors and whatever I can get to fit in them, I am going to do it. If neighbors don't want them, they know I gladly will use them (recycle); I live in the neck of the world where if someone puts out a plastic cabinet with drawers in them and a sign that says FREE, it's mine!!!!! I have a drawer where, when I am planning my next quilt, if I have a piece of fabric that will go with it, it goes in the drawer with a little label on the drawer front that says "Next Quilt".

I will admit that I do have one box that I keep the bird seed, cuttlebones, millet and a birdie bathtub in. It has real nice catches on them so the dog won't get into it. I am not going to go into left field with all the changes a body can do to help the environment. I am going to do what suits me and my home and my hobby. I look for 100% cotton in the design or color I want and I buy it. Yes, I do believe in buying American 100%! Not to change the subject, but have any of you worn nail polish from China - turned my nails orange; took about six months to get my nails my normal color - Sally Hanson is made in America).

I think it is up to us as individuals to do what we feel is best, not only for the environment, but for us. What could a little old (well, not that little) 76 year old broad do to make this country of ours unsustainable. I recycle cans, plastic, paper, I try to buy American. Sometimes it is impossible. My quilting frame is from China. Do I feel; guilty? No! I have tied down many a quilt with that frame and I like it. I can put it together. I can take it apart and put it in a box and store until the next time. It works.

Dina ----- you are looking for an ORANGE STICK . I have a few and love them. I know one of them was my aunts and she would probably be 119 now and I can see her when I was a child pushing her cuticle back with her orange stick and now I use it to keep things flat that I am going to sew over. Been using the same one for over 20 years now.

OK, I am done. Off the soap box! Back to my sewing. These conversations tax my brain sometimes. No one will let me be just happy doing what I want to do. It always is "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." I have paid my dues. That's all I have to say. Edie

Last edited by Edie; 01-14-2015 at 04:32 AM.