Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting tools I wish I could buy! >

Quilting tools I wish I could buy!

Quilting tools I wish I could buy!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:07 PM

You missed the one tool on my sewing machine that i would be willing to pay big bucks for - a simple, little "UNDO" button!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 PM

When I saw the title to this thread I thought it meant a list of all the tools we want but can't afford ... oh, how long that list would be!

I would like an acrylic sewing table that is 8' x 4' (maybe with a drop leaf because otherwise you couldn't get around the room). Or doesn't even have to be acrylic, just something that is smooth all over ... and if it never developed any friction ever that would be ideal. And it should come with just the right cut out for my machine -- or maybe with the option to 3-D print the perfect insert... do I really have to come up with all the ideas????? Just give me a table that will work perfectly for FMQ but doesn't cost as much as an actual kangaroo!!!

Also, I think they need to make a mini version of the Perfect Circles so I can use them for my Calico Gardens quilt.

And finally, I would like an iron that doesn't spit water at the worst possible moment, that gets hot & stays hot & if we're really shooting for the stars, how about one that can sense what type of fabric I have and sets the heat to the proper setting so I never ever scorch my fabric. Oooohhh ... and can it have a mechanism that makes it so it doesn't get hot to the touch -- no more burned fingers.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
You missed the one tool on my sewing machine that i would be willing to pay big bucks for - a simple, little "UNDO" button!
When I was researching new machines I found out that there are some machines that have a button/function that will undo the last stitch or two. I really wish I could afford one of those with all the other features I needed. But regardless, maybe the fact that they now have something that can unsew even a single stitch means as long as it's your current line of stitching you can unsew it. Of course, the better thing would be a DSM that can drive itself. Although... I see how much the robotic LA machines cost, though & the thought of my sewing machine costing 3x what my car cost is scary. And it's no good unless it also has one of those Low Bobbin warnings so you can tie off before you run out of thread.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:39 PM

A bottle full of mojo. I've lost mine.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:50 PM

Lightbulb

Love your list but would ask for larger bobbins also!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:33 AM

I only have one of the yellow lined rulers{give the others to GD}. I hate them!!! Can't get my eyes to go where I'm aiming for, too, too busy. I thought it was just me!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Yeah, was looking for that one in life before, too! Guess I'm too damaged by digital age...
Old 11-05-2015, 03:49 AM

To Bree123 Concerning your table needs, have you looked at Leah Days website? She sells the gidget II table with a custom made insert for $280. Last Christmas I think it was even on sale. I love it and even discovered I could use my acrylic Viking insert with the table as well. Doesn't fit into the cutout exactly but still provides an even flat surface. My dream machine would FMG well despite my talents!
Old 11-05-2015, 04:13 AM

I would like to buy.......more time to sew!Sandy
Old 11-05-2015, 04:23 AM

No to drop in bobbins. I've used both types and front and side loaders are easier to deal with when your machine really gets hung up or snarled.

Embroidery on the older Pfaffs - lift up the hoop slightly and cut the threads under the hoop with a surgical seam ripper.
Move the hoop, and you can clean out the jam without losing your place. (the hoops moved to the back, you could sew with the embroidery arm on)

There has to be a reason why the big quilters and the smaller single stitch are not drop in.

To mfg.
Don't just make things that seem like good ideas to cheapen costs and are "logical" to you.
I've seen discussions on walking feet for the single stitch machines that don't have a place to put the quilting guide. The Brother PQ1500S is one, the Juki 2010 is another. Janome does seem to have a foot out for its machine.
Just because FMQ is all the rage, there are still plenty of others who prefer geometric quilting with a walking foot and don't like taping or marking all the quilt. It shouldn't be that hard to add a clip or a hole for the quilting bar.

If you don't have the harp room, also make feet available that will sew from the left as well as the right on a single stitch machine. That way you could keep the bulk of a quilt to the left.

Good feet do a lot. Pfaff, Viking and Bernina seem to have a foot for everything. I got challenged to do some heirloom on a TOL Babylock years ago, and I had to fudge since quite a few feet weren't available then. (They are now)

I'm for any good tool that makes my life easier.

Some items are exactly as advertised. I bought a SewEzi table and was impressed at the workmanship on mine. The bolts were flush, the top was extremely smooth, and the cutouts were exact. The one advantage the SewEzi has, is the open right end. I've almost buggered the foot pedal connectors using cabinets. I forget to pull the cord. I can just pick up the machine from the SewEzi - the end doesn't have anything to catch the pedal cord.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 11-05-2015 at 04:30 AM.