Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts at Cracker Barrel >

Quilts at Cracker Barrel

Quilts at Cracker Barrel

Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
They are all Donna Sharp quilts. http://www.donnasharp.com/Dot_page.asp?Dotid=94
They are machine pieced and assembled in a Kentucky factory and are then shipped to China where they are hand quilted. That is what keeps the price down and still permits them to be called "handcrafted".
I've heard about this. They were selling them on eBay, advertised as "Hand Crafted" or "Hand Made", and eBay made them stop. People were complaining they were misrepresented. Factory sewn is not Hand Made, no matter how they are are finished!!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 AM

I have bought a few when they are on sale (I mean really cheap), I used them to make quilt coats, When I added the lace, buttons and other things to them they loked wonderful. Afew times I had to mend a few places but usually they worked out fine.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Many women in poorer countries are trying to find new ways of supporting their families, or supplementing their income. There's one group that will provide a goat to a poor family with the hope that they will start a cottage industry by making/selling the milk and cheese. I applaud these efforts but the outfits making these cheap quilts is by no means a cottage industry! If anything, it's probably a sweat shop situation (as mentioned by some of you) where children are exploited.

What are the old adages? "Buyer beware!" and "Buy American" although, in the case of the Amish hucksters, we might use the advice of "Know your seller!" Guess I've lived long enough to have heard it all, or most of it. The Amish cheating people. My my my!

On a happier, less cynical, note... Welcome, Palomino! This thread's topic is on the serious side but there are some funny, funny topics that come up and, lots of great advice. Question, if you're currently not in Alaska, where are you?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Hi Palomino and welcome from MA.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 AM

http://inaminuteago.com/stitchindex.html
This is a great site that I found very helpful for explaining different information on quilting. Hope you find it helpful.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth

What are the old adages? "Buyer beware!" and "Buy American" although, in the case of the Amish hucksters, we might use the advice of "Know your seller!" Guess I've lived long enough to have heard it all, or most of it. The Amish cheating people. My my my!
I have read about the Hmong, and I guess I have a slightly different outcome in my mind.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, and all that, ok?

The Hmong women came to Lancaster back in the 70's, and the Amish took them in. They helped these displaced people, and they have learned that the Hmong women are fantastic needleworkers.

The Amish style is very different from the Hmong style of needlework. If you were aware of this as you perused the quilts in Lancaster, you would note that so many of their quilts don't LOOK Amish.

The part where there is issue, is that they are not necessarily "Amish" quilts anymore, whether pieced of solid colors (Amish style) or Appliqued of patterned colors (The Hmong style). They are certainly products of Lancaster County, as far as that goes (Assuming these quilts are the ones made by the displaced Hmong and not made still in Laos)

Many of these women are currently as Lancaster based as their Amish sisters. They have a skill and they live in this country; the fact that they utilize their abilities to help provide for those back in their home country of Laos doesn't make them cheaters.

http://www.womenfolk.com/quilt_notes/amish-hmong.htm

http://livelystitches.blogspot.com/2...sh-quilts.html

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...ug=thaiquilt11

Where the problem lies of course, is probably in the English (us) who over-market the concept of the Plain People sitting in candlelight producing this work for us English who feel "quaint" purchasing a bit of their work.

As long as they are paid, (well for their environment) and are doing legal, creative works, to help raise the level of living for their families, I think it's ok.

The fact that we English are "dumb" enough to want an Amish quilt and then buy something that doesn't even LOOK Amish??? Hey the Amish didn't forgo money!

Anyway, there are always more than a few ways to look at something.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM

AliasLaceyGreen, I agree with you and was trying, in part, to say the same thing -- know what you're buying. I have NO problem with goods being made either here or elsewhere, especially if its to support a family. What I don't appreciate is .... errrr... brain cramp... mis-information, false advertising, ... if those are the right words.

Thanks for the links; I'd like to know more about this subject.