Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilts at Cracker Barrel

I met a friend there today for lunch and man it was so crowded had to wait for a table. We looked around their store and I saw beaituful quilt sets - quilts + shams for $199.00. I thought that was a good price and you could tell they are homemade too. That was for a queen size. I wonder where they get these.

Blog Entries
    WOW!! It would be worth the trip there just to look at the quilts :D:D:D

Can't imagine a quilt being home made, selling so cheap. I guess you never know where you might find a good buy!

I have always admired their quilts also. I love cracker barrel!

I didn't know you could get them there.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    WOW!! It would be worth the trip there just to look at the quilts :D:D:D
    It sure would.

They do have pretty quilts there. I like looking at the pattern of the quilts to get ideas.

They are all Donna Sharp quilts. http://www.donnasharp.com/Dot_page.asp?Dotid=94
    They are machine pieced and assembled in a Kentucky factory and are then shipped to China where they are hand quilted. That is what keeps the price down and still permits them to be called "handcrafted".

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I have not seen the right quilts at Cracker Barrel, but as a hand quilter, have you looked closely at the stitches in these quilts. They are too big and too far apart. I was asked to leave a shop in Branson where they sold "handcrafted quilts", because I said they were not worth $99.00

Blog Entries
    They are handquilted-- in a poverty country, and the stitches are running stitches not hand quilted stitches. I can do a king size quilt with running stitches in no time. I think I know the shop in Branson, Dix. You are right, the quilts there are an embarrassment to a quilter. There is one in Hot Springs AR that has machine quilted quilts made in some forsaken country.

I have seen the quilts at Cracker Barrel too - I have never believed them to be handquilted - no way at that price - they are pretty to look at but would not hold up being used, I'm sure... if something is too cheap to be real - it's too cheap... I have seen hundreds of handquilted quilts on this board worth far more than the ones at Cracker Barrel. And more beautiful.

Banned
    We go to Branson every once in awhile and I usually go in a couple of quilt shops. They have cheap quilts from China. I hate to admit it but some are really pretty at a good price. Don't hit me too hard! OUCH! :oops:

Blog Entries
    I saw some beautiful quilts at Cracker Barrel in November. If I was not a quilter, I would have bought one. They were much nicer than the ones you see at retail stores with the ugly stitching. But, hey, I make quilts. Why would I buy?

Fact is if it is pretty it is pretty. And if you spend a year or more on a quilt and DH or the dogs or whomever doesn't appreciate it and take care of it why wouldn't you buy a pretty inexpensive commercial quilt to be "used" hard? I have a quilt on my bed made of polyester and made by the Amish ladies here in my county. I didn't pay much for it and it is pretty but my quilts are out of reach of the kid and the dogs and the DH. Until I am animal less and maybe DH less my quilts will stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    They are handquilted-- in a poverty country, and the stitches are running stitches not hand quilted stitches. I can do a king size quilt with running stitches in no time. I think I know the shop in Branson, Dix. You are right, the quilts there are an embarrassment to a quilter. There is one in Hot Springs AR that has machine quilted quilts made in some forsaken country.
    Not to sound completely naive, but I am a beginner quilter and learning a lot just by reading these boards. But can I ask, what is the difference between a running stitch and a hand quilted stitch?

I imagine a running stitch to be down one side and up the other in equal increments, is that right? I was at an Amish store the other day and saw these tiny little stitches that made the quilt have texture, but couldn't really see the thread, is this the hand quilted method?

-Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I have always admired their quilts also. I love cracker barrel!
    So do I !! I love the Old Timer's Breakfast or Uncle Hershel Breakfast -- anytime of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dix
    Maybe I have not seen the right quilts at Cracker Barrel, but as a hand quilter, have you looked closely at the stitches in these quilts. They are too big and too far apart. I was asked to leave a shop in Branson where they sold "handcrafted quilts", because I said they were not worth $99.00

I haven't seen the "handcrafted" quilts at the CB that I visit. They have absolutely beautiful machine quilted quilts starting at 99.00

Hand quilted in China is not my idea of "hand crafted". I am dissapointed in Cracker Barrel.

Blog Entries
    I got one of these for a Christmas gift last year...one washing and the seams are coming apart...not worth the $$ even if they are pretty!

I have seen the quilts at Cracker Barrell. They are pretty quilts although I did not study the quilting. I read an article several years ago that was investigating child labor in foreign countries. These children starting at 5 or 6 were paid 50 cents a week to quilt. The children worked 8 to 10 hours a day. It was very sad. There was also a big scandel into one of the Amish groups who sent their quilts overseas to be quilted. These were the advertised "Amish quilts" that were $200-$300 in price. That information might still be floating on the web. I have bought inexpensive quilts before I started quilting and when they are washed a few times, the threads start coming apart and I ended up throwing them away. I do have a friend who bought one of these quilts and requilted it and it came out pretty good. I guess the old addage "you pay for what you get" is for real.

I have a hunch they're from China. Were you able to touch the fabric? They use a very light woven material that usually won't last more than a dozen washings I have seen them at Ole Time Pottery also.

They are pretty from a distance, but up close I wouldn't want one: however they do have great ideas to remember and use their ideas at home. Sometimes I make pictures, I did this with a memory quilt.

Something to read. If this works.

I make all of my quilts to be used. Pretty or not, that's what they are for. To be used.
    It's kind of like never using your good china because it might get broken. Then realizing that your family is as worthy of using the good china as 'company' is.
    Use those quilts! LOL

Blog Entries
    China!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast