Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilty New Year's Resolution >

Quilty New Year's Resolution

Quilty New Year's Resolution

Old 12-24-2015, 07:24 AM

I'm the same as many of you - want to finish up some UFOs! I did manage to do some this year, so at least there are fewer... I count 4 at various stages of being pieced (3 by hand), and I have an additional 3 finished tops that need to be quilted. I'm delaying the quilting since we plan to move this year (as, I note, do some others here - is 2016 the Year of the House Move?) and I'm hoping to get a better quilting set up in the new house so that I can hand-quilt more comfortably.

This means I want to concentrate, at least to start off with, on the unfinished tops, with priority to the Lone Star dating from 1999. I've been working on that some this year, and have managed to get it almost to borders stage... I also have a Paddington Bear Hexagon (my own design) which is at borders stage, but I'm struggling with figuring those out. And my green and white star sampler quilt and Sylvia's Bridal Sampler are both at the 'needs more blocks doing' stage, so the other two will probably take precedence. Unless I get a tear on...

I'd also like to get back into my cross-stitch. I don't think I've done any for quite a few years now, and have several UFOs there too!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:34 AM

Oh, I also really, really like the idea of resolving to spend a minimum of 15 minutes per day sewing - I tried to do that this year and failed, but I'm game for trying again!
Old 12-24-2015, 08:11 AM

I want to continue to sew totes for Sadie's Dream for a Cure (2 a month), make receiving blankets for new babies born into the church, donate baby/lap quilt panel quilts for the needy and like last year, finish ONE UFO for us. But first I have to quilt my DGS's third birthday quilt, Traveling Turtles, and the Great Pumpkin Quilt I finished for us in 2015. Right now the sewing room is full of Christmas gifts for the grandkids, extra furniture we moved out of our bedrm and the guest room to accommodate more sleeping room and my DH and my clothes for the week, as we gave up our bedroom!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:13 AM

What ambitions we have! I, too, have several goals for the coming year. First of all, by Jan. 6 I have to do the two blocks to contribute to the monthly quilt for my quilt group and make up the block kits for January for the group. Then I need to clean and reorganize my stash. It's gotten to be a real mess over the last several months. As for projects, I want to finish the Log Cabin quilt for the guest room, as well as the paper-pieced wall hanging to go over the bed. I'm also doing leaders and enders for a scrappy quilt for the Wreckroom, which I want to finish. Although I have plans for several other projects, I especially want to do these two and one quilt each for the kids (2) by next Christmas.

Of course, I'll have to complete the quilt group quilt by Feb or Mar and do some baby quilts for charity. I'm continuing to hand piece the hexie GFG and would like to do some applique. I'm thinking I need to organize my time and get more intentional about how I use it. Setting specific goals for each month/week will help.

Merry Christmas and happy quilting!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:45 AM

I make quilts for Christmas for children who live in a group home. I hope to get more finished for next Christmas but I won't make a resolution about that. Life is what happens when I make other plans. I always make the focal point a machine embroidery. I am going to try to insert a few photos of my kids quilts. I know they are greatly appreciated.
For nursing home residents I make some mug rugs. They are fast and easy and everybody can use a mug rug. I make them in my embroidery machine also, (Love my embroidery machine.
Geri in Anchorage[ATTACH=CONFIG]538709[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538710[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538711[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]538713[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0278.jpg   img_0273.jpg   img_0261.jpg   img_0276.jpg   img_0289-edited-.jpg  

Old 12-25-2015, 10:20 AM

I rarely throw away scraps unless they are less than 2 or 3" square. I cut my scraps into four sizes--6-1/2x6-1/2; 2-1/2x6-1/2; 3x3 or 4-1/2x4-1/2. I also keep any strings that are at least 1"x6-1/2". Any strips that are 2-1/2" wide are also kept. My last six years' resolution was to decrease the stash. Doing that caused the overflow of scraps! Over Thanksgiving weekend, I made a weekend of cutting down the scraps in my way, way overflowing box of scraps. I cut over 6 pounds of squares and rectangles, adding to the about ten pounds cut in the past, have about forty 2-1/2"xWOF strips and many strings. This year, I will make mostly scrap quilts except for special projects, like a wedding quilt in "greys, Taupe, off white and then had a few pops of yellow, orange red" per the groom's mother.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:17 AM

I don't usually make NY resolutions. I would like to finish the Bargello quilt I started (actually worked on it yesterday). Cleaned sewing room yesterday so I'm "somewhat" better organized. I want to learn how to use the embroidery machine I bought some months ago and continue to work on improving my FMQ

Most of my quilts have gone to a local assisted living/nursing home. After reading some comments here, I think I'll look for other places to donate. I don't belong to a guild; prefer to do my own thing and work on whatever strikes me. I have a small stash compared to many of you but enough to do 6 or more lap quilts and received a $50 GC at Christmas to buy more fabrics. And I would really like to make a quilt to keep for my DH and I to use.

I continue to research and dream of getting a long arm (but not to quilt for others). Probably not going to happen in 2016 since we have a wedding to pay for ... and space is an issue.

Happy Quilting everyone!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:30 PM

Well...a couple of you mentioned to check more into the acceptance rules of the home and I'm glad I did as they only 'want' personal care items for the residents and something like a quilt would be 'to hard to keep up with'. I think I'll just stick to working only from my stash, and finish the ones I have stared!