Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommend your SA/MA machine quilting frame? >

Recommend your SA/MA machine quilting frame?

Recommend your SA/MA machine quilting frame?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 AM

Question Recommend your SA/MA machine quilting frame?

So I'm starting to save for a quilt frame for a SA/MA sewing machine (I'm still trying to decide if I'll try and use a 201 on the frame or pick up a Brother 1500/Juki 2010/Janome 1600 etc.)

Anywho. It won't be for a longarm.

I'd love to hear your take on your frame. Do you love it? Hate it? Is it smooth? Are the pantographs positioned well and easy to follow/comfortable to follow? Do you have a stitch regulator for your machine? Which machine are you using on it? Does it have a 4th rail? How much did you pay for it? Where did you buy it? (online? show? dealer?) etc.

(sorry for the 1923471384693846 questions, lol. And these are just some ideas, but anything you can tell me I'd love and appreciate!)

The most popular one seems to be the Grace Frame, but I know there *must* be other brands out there, maybe as good or better?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 AM

My frame has large poles that take up a lot of room in the machines throat area. I cant afford a long arm machine so use a Baby Lock Jane on my frame. It is tough not only for the throat space but for threading and the bobbin replacing.
Would like at least an 18 in throat machine someday.
My frame is an Inspira Imperial Quilting Frame.
Except for the large poles I like the frame and the shelves under it are nice.
Yes I have a stitch regulator that is a must have for me.
The machine moves very smooth on its carrage. Can only use up to an 18 inch throat machine on it.
Pantographs work well on it and the hardest part is lining it up with the machine.
Attached Thumbnails table-jane.jpg  

Last edited by Rose Marie; 05-04-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:19 AM

I wouldn't use a drop in bobbin machine like a 201 on a frame. Changing out bobbins would be such a pain. Longarms and frame mid arms are horizontal bobbin assemblies to make for changing out bobbins frequently.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 AM

I have a Bernina 820 on a Bernina Frame. It is well made, and the directions for setting it up is good, but the directions for loading the quilts are hard to understand. If you do buy one, PM me, and I will tell you what works for me. I had a Bernina 430 on it before my 820.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I would advise getting a machine and frame combo that works together.

I have a Voyager 16 on a Hinterberg stretch frame that I purchased for $3,000 used. You can buy them from the Hinterberg site too. I don't have a stitch regulator and sometimes wish I did -- it would make pantos and ruler work a lot easier! Mine works great for the free-form quilting I like to do, though. There are a couple of used machine websites you can check periodically to see what is available in your area. One QB member found my setup, with a stitch regulator, advertised there and got it for less then $2,500.

Another newer option is the Block RockIt (the machine) that you can purchase as a package with a frame. Some members on the homequiltingsystems group (on yahoo.groups.com ) really like it.

Unless you are sure you cannot save up money for a midarm machine, I would advise against buying a frame and small-throat machine (Juki 2010, etc.) separately. On larger quilts such as queen size, you will be limited to 3 or 4" of quilting space at the end -- which greatly limits your panto choices.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM

I've got the same setup Prism has ... Voyager 16 on a Hinterberg stretch frame. I also purchased mine used ... for a song!! Found it on Craigslist.

What I like about the Hinty stretch frame is that you can make it any size you want (it has an upper limit, I forgot what it is ... I *think* 10'). If you want it longer, buy longer poles. I made my own leaders for it as well, I used pillow ticking (because it's strong and already has the horizontal lines which I know are straight because they're woven) and I attached zippers to them.

The Voyager is a good machine as well, and I have the stitch regulator with mine. Nary a problem with it. A lot of people tell me they can't get it to run Aurifil thread with it ... I haven't tried it yet though.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 PM

Thank you so much to everyone that responded!

I guess my hesitation in a bigger machine is that I've heard that they can have major tension issues? (I'm sorry, I really don't know much about long arms :s )

Hmm. Now I'm thinking I should dump the Juki idea and go for something with a longer throat.

I'm off to check out your set-ups, Prism, DogHouseMom, SuzieQuilts, and RoseMarie!

Candace, thanks for replying. I had posted to see if anyone in the Vintage threads had a 201 on a frame and got the same concerns you did. Makes me a bit sad, I really wanted to use that machine on a frame, I think it would have looked sexy heheheh

BLARGH! The search (and saving) continues. I need to win the lotto!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:49 AM

I have a janome 1600p on a gracie frame and i really like mine. i would like a hq or
gammerill but of course out of my budget.