Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing blood stains from quilt

Ladies, My little group of quilters at the Senior Center have a problem. We took the finished raffle quilt off of the frame and there were two different bloodstains on the back. Two different people bleed on it that we know of. At the time it happened we had them work on the spots with their spit and the blood came off of the top. We didn't think to look under the frame to see if the stain went clear through the top, batting and backing. One of the ladies worked at the stain with more spit today. She was partially able to remove the stain. The other lady is now in a nursing home and we don't have access to her. The older ladies insist on basting the quilts we work on with straight pins. I am on warfrin and so are several of the other ladies. I know if I get stuck I bleed like a stuck pig. I tried to talk them into using safety pins but they won't budge.
    Any suggestions on how to remove the stains. I am thinking peroxide to begin with or a possibly a weak bleach solution. If we cant remove the stains the label will have more company. We may have to applique somthing over the spots.

I think the trick is to use cold water and some mild bar soap or if you can get it a stain removing bar. We have one here called Sard (I think it has eucalyptus oil in it), but any soft white bar soap should do. Use white rags (bits of towel are good) and just gently dab with soap and water and blot, then dab with plain water and blot. It is time consuming but should work. Just don't get everything too wet and don't scrub at the fabric, just gentle dabs.

I am sure everyone will have some good ideas...good luck.

Several methods are listed here
    http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Blood-Stains
    and more here.
    http://www.howtocleanthings.com/how-to-clean-blood.htm
    I have had great success with both meat tenderizer (has the same enzymes as spit and none of the nasty stuff :shock: ) and club soda (not together). You do plan to wash all that spit out of the quilt, right? :wink: :D

Senior Member Darlene loves Chocolates's Avatar
    we had blood dried on our couch from a head injury and I was ready to toss out the couch......

BUT AFTER SOME SERIOUS RESEARCH WE FOUND THIS STUFF CALLED....."UNIQUE" AND ALL THE BLOOD CAME OUT.......

the blood had dried into the weave of the fabric of the couch......

AND THIS STUFF ACTUALLY DID WORK AND DID NOT DAMAGED THE FABRIC...

we used white cotton towels to soak up the "UNIQUE and the blood.....
    after a few soak ups and remove the towels, the stain was completely gone.

IF YOU TRY THIS STUFF....I WILL GIVE YOU MY PHONE NUMBER TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW WE USED IT....

Be very careful with peroxide - I've had it leave yellow stains. Can you use a dilute solution, then rinse and re-apply?

Blog Entries
    Can you use Oxyclean - it's available in little spray bottles for the purse and I have used it on assorted stains. It does not discolor. I do not know, however, if it is meant for blood stains. Now if someone had smeared Philly-cheese steak.......

Senior Member Darlene loves Chocolates's Avatar
    this is my second post because I think I have the answer....

Chuck is an engineer and he found this stuff….I did not believe anything could get blood out nor actually NOT leave a stain and this stuff…..does works.

Here is the exact name UNIQUE DISTRIBUTING…..”STAIN AND ODOR SOLUTION”

http://www.uniquedistributing.com/Un...r-Stain-Eater/

Chuck said the product has an enzyme that will eat and nibble the blood and not leave a stain.....

AND OUR COUCH IS WHITE AND BLUE....AND AFTER USING THIS STUFF IT IS STILL WHITE AND BLUE AND NO TRACE OF BLOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Ladies, My little group of quilters at the Senior Center have a problem. We took the finished raffle quilt off of the frame and there were two different bloodstains on the back. Two different people bleed on it that we know of. At the time it happened we had them work on the spots with their spit and the blood came off of the top. We didn't think to look under the frame to see if the stain went clear through the top, batting and backing. One of the ladies worked at the stain with more spit today. She was partially able to remove the stain. The other lady is now in a nursing home and we don't have access to her. The older ladies insist on basting the quilts we work on with straight pins. I am on warfrin and so are several of the other ladies. I know if I get stuck I bleed like a stuck pig. I tried to talk them into using safety pins but they won't budge.
    Any suggestions on how to remove the stains. I am thinking peroxide to begin with or a possibly a weak bleach solution. If we cant remove the stains the label will have more company. We may have to applique somthing over the spots.

Banned
    #1- Dont beat the old ladies into submission if they arent quilting to your specs!

#2- if you forget about #1, make sure they are not by the quilt or still working on it.

#3- if you wrap them in a thick blanket you can beat them with a baseball bat and it looks like the fell down the stairs.

Other than that I have cut, stuck, poked myself so many times that afterwards I look like I was beat down by an angry mob. And my wife always soaked my clothes in cold water and used some sort of pretreat like Spray-n-Wash with oxi-clean and it has come out every time.

By the way there was no old ladies injured during this post and all information was deduced by watching the CSI series for the last few years. :mrgreen:

Billy

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    take a large bowl and fill it with milk, then take the sections of the blood stained quilt and put it in the milk. let the quilt soak in the milk over night then wash. there is an enzyme in milk that brakes down the blood.

Blog Entries
    Lots of things work on removing blood without damaging the fabric.

My favorite is Z'out; Target sells it in a spray bottle with the laundry products for about $3. You can spray it on, let it work, then rinse the spot. Repeat, if necessary.

My mil recently soaked a sweater in All to remove blood; came out perfectly! Biz also works, as does Oxyclean. The only thing I have noticed about Oxyclean is that it really needs to be fully dissolved in hot water first. When using any of these products, you want to use cold water and you may need to allow the spot to soak for awhile to give the enzymes a chance to act.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast