Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing a broken needle from sewing machine >

Removing a broken needle from sewing machine

Removing a broken needle from sewing machine

Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Removing a broken needle from sewing machine

Do any of you have a suggestion for removing a broken sewing machine needle?
With it stuck in the fabric, needle in down position, I am so afraid of harming my machine.
I finally broke the needle again, on purpose, in order to remove it. Is this bad?
Marilyn
Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Why couldn't you hand turn the wheel to pull the needle out of the fabric?
I've broken several needles and not had any problems getting the needle parts out.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Marilyn, I have no idea how you would do this. It sounds like you found a way though, and if that worked, thank goodness! I would be worried too though. I can't visualize how you managed to break the needle again to remove it though. You must be creative. I hope your machine still works... Something made the needle break, right?

Dina
Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 PM

Duh, Peckish, turning the wheel by hand makes so much sense! I like to think I might have done that automatically...but I sure didn't think of it when Marilyn asked.

Dina
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I have hand turned my wheel and managed to get a jammed needle out. Another time it was jammed so tight the wheel would not move. I loosened the screw that holds the needle in place, took off the foot so I had room to work. I had to remove the bobbin and case also. I managed to get the fabric and loose needle out and then re-assembled everything to sew.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 PM

I also have had this happen. When the wheel won't move, you just have to disassemble as much as you can and then get your little bitty pliers and either pull straight down or straight up on the part of the needle that's left. I've never thought about breaking the needle again and would be afraid to do that because I might bend the shaft. No one ever told people who sew that they may have to act as serendipitous mechanics! froggyintexas

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have hand turned my wheel and managed to get a jammed needle out. Another time it was jammed so tight the wheel would not move. I loosened the screw that holds the needle in place, took off the foot so I had room to work. I had to remove the bobbin and case also. I managed to get the fabric and loose needle out and then re-assembled everything to sew.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 PM

The problem was that I could not hand turn the wheel, therefore there was no room to work. I was able to very
carefully remove bobbin & bobbin plate etc. to give more room & eventually wriggled the fabric out from under. But the
needle originally broke low towards the hole in the needle.

Thanks for any further suggestions.
Marilyn
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Sounds like you did the best you could, my next thought was to remove the bobbin & cover. I think your needle must have broken in a spot that I've never had to deal with. Glad you got it out!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM

this is what I would do also would loosen the screw take out the needle, and the foot
Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM

When I get a broken or bent needle good and jambed I sometimes just turn the machine off. Like rebooting a computer (which some sewing machines really are) the mechanism sort of resets it self and rises up high enough to unscrew the needle and remove it.