Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair or buy new? >

Repair or buy new?

Repair or buy new?

Old 03-09-2015, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The old Touch and Sew Singers, are not (in my opinion) worth fixing. There is no control of the lower tension, the bobbin system is made in a way that the only time you have good stitch quality, is when the bobbin is half full. I know the ladies like the convenience of having the bobbin wound without removing it from the bobbin area, but they just don't have a good stitch quality. There's also a worm gear that gets brittle and breaks, which would cost more to replace than the machine is worth -- which might be the reason it isn't sewing right now.
That's what broke on mine, but I had it over 20 yrs! And it worked like a charm....even with less than 1/2 bobbin of thread! Wonder how long my now machine will last...bet way less than 20 yrs!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Maybe she could do both. Get the Singer repaired, and then keep it as a backup for a new little Brother.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:57 AM

There's a reason they are called "cuss and throw" as a joke. My husband fixed up his Mom's and said he was not impressed by them. She had the Golden T&S - top of the line when it was made.

Want a good Singer? You need to go about 10 years older and get a 401A - and then you have a machine worth having.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:10 AM

Costs about 90$ at my LQS just for maintenance. Might be worth it to invest in a new or used machine.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the others. Take it in and see what the technician has to say if it is worth the cost of fixing it. So many of the DSM under $300 are not the greatest.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 AM

Depending on what your mother sews, I would tell her to just list it on Craigslist for parts and buy a low end sewing machine at Hancock's. She can get one for under $100 on sale that will do most repairs and piecing. They aren't suitable for actual quilting or heavy duty fabrics (you can fix a pair of jeans though). Or, better yet, have her buy a Janome Gold. Again, it will fix most things, is very lightweight, includes an automatic needle threader (old eyes) and when she doesn't want it anymore, you can use it as your go-to-class machine. My Mom ditched her machine and just throws everything at me to sew now. Her only regret is that I put the buttonholes on the wrong side on her pjs. (yeah, well, next time she's going to sit right next to me to make sure I do the thing right).
Old 03-11-2015, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

I would get it checked out. If too much to fix I would buy a new machine and be done with it. I don't know anything about the new Singers.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:58 AM

Perhaps get your estimate....but remember what some of the board members mention about the touch and sew machines. I had the golden touch and sew in 1970. It was horrible after a year of sewing. Sure was pretty until I stabbed it with my scissors. Traded it in on the first Viking. That was a good move on my part. Have not had the urge to commit machine murder since. LOL If she gets a new machine.....look at some of the less expensive models of the brands like Janome or brother.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 AM

I have taken several older machines, singer, Kenmore to my repair guy. I ask for an estimate before he does anything, most of the time I pay for a cleaning and oiling from him. He charges $60 for this, but also tightens belts, changes the needle etc. I have been there when someone brought in a machine and it would not sew. The needle was in backwards, which does not help. A Kenmore I got off ebay said it did not sew, but ran. The stitch length was set on zero, that would cause the problem too.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 AM

I loved my Singer Golden Touch & Sew so much that I fixed all those brittle gears with new ones and replaced that worn out belt. Mine would sew a straight seam, but wouldn't zig-zag. That was about 10 years ago. I haven't sewn on it much, but I really should. These gears will be rotten if I don't get sewing soon.

One of the reasons I will keep the Singer is that it sits down in a cabinet and sews a beautiful seam. The feed dogs are closer together than on the newer machines and the feet are much smaller, making it easier to sew an 1/8" seam, think napkins, when I get the urge.

For the almost $400 I put into getting mine fixed, I could have had one of the small embroidery machines, if I added a couple more hundred. It's something to think about.