Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Cutter - does size matter?

Someone told me the other day that a 60mm - 2.5" Olfa cuts better than its smaller brother, the 45mm, not sure of imperial equiv, maybe 2.75".

Can this be true? I would have thought it depended only on the blade.

If my hunch is right, then why the different sizes? I understand the baby is designed for tight curves but why the TWO larger sizes?

np3
    Blog Entries
    The 60mm is great when you are cutting through lots of layers at a time. The 45mm is the most common and useful size. But if you are doing tiny pieces or lots of layers, the other two are very valuable. I use a 45mm probably 90% of the time. But it depends on what you are doing.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say one size cuts better than another... I really like to cut with the 60mm, especially when cutting WOF and large pieces. Sometimes it is a little too large to cut pieces that are less than 2 1/2 or 3", but it really is a personal preference. I usually use the one that I can find at the moment, 60mm or 45mm. I very rarely use the smaller 28mm.

the 45 is the most common-used the most often for a couple layers of fabric-
    the 60 is good for flannels, thicker fabrics, more layers
    and the small ones (28 & 18 i think-)are good for small pieces/shapes-going around curves, tight place, around templates, ect.

some people just like using the larger blade over the 45- some people hate using the large one and only do so when the project makes it necessary . the little ones are kind of project dependant- but come in handy - they are easy to go around templates with....more precise cutting- but not something you want to use for cutting yardage/large pieces

I had the 28 and gave it to a friend when she couldn't find her 45. I use my 45 all the time. I might have a 60 in the drawer somewhere but obviously don't use it. Haven't had a problem doing large or small cuts with the 45.

Blog Entries
    Mostly I like using the 60, but when I'm using the June Tailor strip cutter slotted ruler, the 45 works better. I've got a 28 too...rarely use that one.

Banned
    I find that I have been using the 28mm more lately. It seems easier when cutting up to 4 layers of fabric and especially when I need to cut sitting down.
    I use the 60mm when cutting batting.

Thank you ladies.

Do you know that those slotted strip cutting rulers cost well over $100 here in Australia and I can't imagine ordering it online. I think they would be so hard to pack, resulting in such a huge package but they are so cheap at QIAD.

I reckon you've answered my question on rotary cutters.

Interesting to note that Holice mostly uses her 28mm.

I found my 45mm hard to use at first but am now getting the hang of it.

Will have some pictures of my first project to show you soon.

Banned
    Holice is NOT a "her".

Ah! Do we have another male quilter?

So sorry Holice, my mistake and a bad one too!

Incidentally, did you make your avatar wall hanging? Where did you get the pattern? I love it mate!

Don't know why I said that, I hate being called "mate". I won't do it again. Are you also on the QuiltGuy forum. That's a beauty - the fellows there are very clever.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast