Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does bobbin size matter?

Recently the somewhat crotchety man who cleans and adjusts my sewing machines gave me a big frown and said, "You're not even using the correct bobbin size." (Bobbin size?) I always thought as long as the bobbin is round and has a hole in the middle and doesn't spit itself out of the machine it was okay to use it.

What kinds of problems can be experienced if you're using the wrong size? And how do you know what size your machine uses? (My manuel doesn't tell me.)

Yes size does matter. You should google your machine and see what comes up. It can really make a difference with sewing and quilting mine will throw a fit if it is not fitting correctly.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not all bobbins fit in all machines.

If your manual doesn't tell you look up your machine on the web and see what it says, or let us know here, I'm sure someone can tell you.

It could make a difference in how your tension gets adjusted and how your machine operates overall.

I'm with you though and would think that if it fits.... it should work.

What machine do you have?

Use only the bobbins made specifically for your machine or it will mess up the tension and all sorts of other things. Janome bobbins for Janome machines, singer bobbins for singer machines and the list goes on.

There are as many sizes of bobbin as there are machine (or so it seems at times). Pfaffs are different than Berninas and Singer, and Janome. Some are metal some are plastic, some even screw apart!

Yes, google your machine or get on a site that sells bobbins and type in your machine and the correct one should come up.

Wrong size/style will mess with your tension, stitches and can at times break needles and throw your timing off......

Does dress size matter?? I sure wouldn't want to wear the incorrect size of shoes. My machines don't want a wrong size bobbin in them either!

Bottom line......Size really does matter.

You will break needles. Wrong size bobbin can really mess up your work. Some machines don't even want pre-wound bobbins without a special seat.

Yes it does matter alot.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Everyone of my machines use a different bobbin. Makes things challenging but not paying attention makes a huge mess!

Always check manual for correct bobbin size. My singer takes a singer 15J not a 15. Size 15 is slightly smaller and will jump around in the bobbin holder. If do not have manual check on line or call local distributor or even here on the board.

Wow! I better pay attention - I didn't know I could be using the wrong bobbins in my machine. I bought a new machine and am using the same bobbins...the machines are singer and brother...I better go check it out before I ruin me new one. Thanks for this info.

You'll be able to tell the difference immediately when you get the correct size bobbin. I can get the cardboard sided pre-wounds to fit in all 4 of my machines but I have to tear the outside facing paper off for 3 of them. My machines won't even wind each other's bobbins. The spindle is a different size.

sometimes the bobbins look like they are right, but just a hair off can really change the machine proformance.

Blog Entries
    I think the crochety man should have told you what you need. Anyway, my machines won't work at all with the wrong bobbin. What machine do you have?

So true, so true, the correct bobbin is essential. Again yesterday, one of the guild members was having tension problems, wrong bobbin. Just because they all look almost the same they aren't, use what is recommened for your machine and you and your machine will be much happier.

Blog Entries
    Agree wholeheartedly! I have had experience with using the wrong bobbin and it can ruin your day!

Gal
    Many machines although having different names actually use some same machine parts manufactured by the one company, this means you can use same bobbins in some cases, however I recommed always checking which bobbin is right for your particular machine first. Over the years I have owned a Singer, Liberty, Jamome, and two different Brother machines, they all used the same needles and also the Universal needles. It seems like there are no rules but there are in fact. You may not do much damage to your bobbins but you may do permanant damage to the inside of your bobbin case, if metal on metal is spinning around in there at a 100 miles an hour, if it is too tight for instance, you will wear something out pretty fast! One gets used to the way your machine sounds and sews, changing to the correct needle, often you can hear the difference! I write this for anyone new to sewing and machines etc as any info on machine maintainance is good info IMHO.

Gal

I put a colored mark on the correct bobbin size for each machine so I can get the correct bobbin in the machine. As usual each machine takes different bobbin and it it is hard to tell difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    I put a colored mark on the correct bobbin size for each machine so I can get the correct bobbin in the machine. As usual each machine takes different bobbin and it it is hard to tell difference.
    I have marked mine also, Hot Pink nail polish on the Brother and Blue on the Viking. And I can tell the difference in the vintage ones just by looking.

Thanks so much for all the information -- and for replying so FAST. Actually, people have been giving me lots of old bobbins which don't fit in their machines anymore. And all the while I thought I was really lucky. I have two machines -- a Baby Lock Model BL 1556 and a Husqvarna Emerald 118. I will start googling today and know I will hit paydirt at Joanne's where I bought my Husqvarna.

YES size does matter. One of my biggest pet peeves is that the manual that comes with machines don't tell you which one to use. I have scoured my manuals and the only info is a part number, thier part number. Why can't they just say class 15, L or N. Yesterday for the first time I saw a sewing machine box that specifies class 15. I'm going to email the company and thank them. Being consumer friendly should always be encouraged.

Yes. In my Singer, if the bobbin is a few millimeters off of what it is supposed to be, I get terrible birds nests when I attempt to sew.

One of my Bernina bobbins is an eyelash width off what it should be and I had to put that one aside as it was one broken thread after another if I tried to use that one.

Machines can be very sensitive to the wrong size parts.

Cheers, K

Why didn't the repair guy tell which ones ARE correct?!

The wrong size bobbin might get stuck in the bobbin case and cause all kinds of expensive problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast