Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does bobbin size matter? >

Does bobbin size matter?

Does bobbin size matter?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 AM

Thanks so much for all the information -- and for replying so FAST. Actually, people have been giving me lots of old bobbins which don't fit in their machines anymore. And all the while I thought I was really lucky. I have two machines -- a Baby Lock Model BL 1556 and a Husqvarna Emerald 118. I will start googling today and know I will hit paydirt at Joanne's where I bought my Husqvarna.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:27 PM

YES size does matter. One of my biggest pet peeves is that the manual that comes with machines don't tell you which one to use. I have scoured my manuals and the only info is a part number, thier part number. Why can't they just say class 15, L or N. Yesterday for the first time I saw a sewing machine box that specifies class 15. I'm going to email the company and thank them. Being consumer friendly should always be encouraged.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Yes. In my Singer, if the bobbin is a few millimeters off of what it is supposed to be, I get terrible birds nests when I attempt to sew.

One of my Bernina bobbins is an eyelash width off what it should be and I had to put that one aside as it was one broken thread after another if I tried to use that one.

Machines can be very sensitive to the wrong size parts.

Cheers, K
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Why didn't the repair guy tell which ones ARE correct?!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM

The wrong size bobbin might get stuck in the bobbin case and cause all kinds of expensive problems.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Hello,
I'm new to the quilting board. Recently the bobbin thread winder on my Singer 1425N quit working, I suspect because the part is plastic. I have been unable to find a sewing machine repairman locally, but when I saw a portable, vintage Majestic sewing machine at a local second hand shop for $15.00, I immediately bought it. It is extremely heavy, due to the all metal parts I believe. Anyway, it had just two bobbins, but I would like to purchase more bobbins. These have no indication of size on them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]384592[/ATTACH]Photo included here. Can anyone tell me how I can be certain which bobbin to buy?
Attached Thumbnails bobbin-10-hole-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM

Not only does size matter, so does material! Don't use metal bobbins in a machine that is designed to use Plastic bobbins! Found that out the hard way, my "new" Kenmore (Janome style) machine will "take" the metal Singer bobbins I've owned forever, but it just doesn't quite feed right! Lot's of jams and snarls! (machine and human!) So I only use those old "mini-spools" for the top thread, if I need that specific color. I'm fairly safe, those bobbins haven't seen the daylight for years! and it's only for very small projects!

When I purchased a Husqavarna-Viking Sapphire 835, I purchased a "bag" of 20 bobbins, and am now looking to purchase more. It's so handy to do large projects with a set of "pre-filled" bobbins! But no way would the Kenmore plastic or Singer metal bobbins EVER get near the HV!

NEVER feel silly asking any questions, we have all had them and this Quilting Board is the BEST place I've found to post and get helpful answers!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 AM

I didn't used to think it mattered but when I got my new Pfaff embroidery machine I found out. She only uses one especially for her. Now I think maybe some of the problems I have had over the past years are due to the wrong bobbin.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 AM

I have made a mess using the wrong bobbins ..Ugg!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 AM

I've never had a bit of trouble using plastic or metal bobbins in any of my machines. The new Bernina uses both without complaining. I have a Necchi Lydia 3 that also uses plastic bobins, but the bobbins are not as thick as the others. I can use the thinner bobbins in other machines, but can't use the thick bobbins in the machine that wants thin ones.