Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sashing question

Sashing question

It's time to cut sashing for my block exchange quilt. I will be using cornerstones, and I'm not sure which way to cut. The blocks are 12" finished. Should I cut the sashing strips on the warp or weft - across the wof, or with it? I was thinking of cutting 12 1/2" strips wof, sewing the 2 1/2"cornerstone strip, then cutting into 2 1/2" strips. Does that make sense? Do you think I should allow more flexibility by cutting the other way?

QB has never steered me wrong yet, so I really value your experience and advice.
    Shirley in Arizona

i just finished a quilt for my dgd which we designed ourselves. We wanted 2" sashing so I cut the strips 2.5 inches lengthwise to get the most out of the fabric. She is 15 and this was her first project. She sewed the sashing in place with a little help pinning since some blocks were off a little, (can't believe that!) and it actually came out great! After washing, who could tell! good luck with yours! I would say it doesn't matter which way you cut. I try to be thrifty! This was my 5th quilt for gkd's and I have cut all sashing that way. Hope this helps.

Power Poster
    I tend to use the fabric cut across the width for sashing because it uses less fabric and is quicker. Sometimes however, there will be a slight colour or pattern difference between the width and length of fabric. Examine your pieced block to determine if cutting the fabric from the width will be noticeable or not.
    On quilt borders, I try to cut the borders on the lengthwise of the fabric because it is more stable in my opinion.

The scrap quilt I make for the kids has sashing and cornerstones. The blocks are 6 3/4th so I cut a sashing fabric strip 6 3/4ths across the width of the fabric and then cut 1 1/2 inch strips for the side sashing. I cut 6 3/4ths strips and a cornerstone fabric 1 1/5 wof. I sew the two strips together and then cut my sashing strips 1 1/5 from the strip set. That way all the sashings are cut on the length of the fabric and are more stable.

I always try to cut longer pieces along the grain rather than across the WOF. It's more stable. If that's impossible because the piece of fabric is too short, then use lots of starch.

I do the same as dunster. I have a love affair with starch. It has made me a better quilter I think...I know I cut better because I starch every piece of fabric I use!!
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I had never thought much about the color variations in the length of the fabric - guess I haven't run into that much yet. I'm with dunster & pippi65 - love my Best Press. It has really improved the acturacy of my piecing.
    Shannon

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi65 View Post
    I do the same as dunster. I have a love affair with starch. It has made me a better quilter I think...I know I cut better because I starch every piece of fabric I use!!
    Do you use Best Press? Or something else?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Sometimes however, there will be a slight colour or pattern difference between the width and length of fabric.
    That difference is always there, not just sometimes. It's just a question of whether or not you notice it. I do and it's the very reason why I make sure that my borders and sashings are all 'going the same way' after piecing.

In other words, top and bottom borders and sashings are cut WOF (crosswise grain) and side borders and sashings are cut LOF (lengthwise grain). After piecing the weave is all running the same way and there are no color/pattern variations at all. I know it's obsessive, but it makes a huge difference to me...and that's what counts. I am certainly not suggesting that anyone else follow suit.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Thanks for all your advice. I had not thought about the stabilizing factor, Dunster, and that's an excellent point. I'm cutting now.
    Shirley in Arizona