Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saving an old quilt, a soap opera! >

Saving an old quilt, a soap opera!

Saving an old quilt, a soap opera!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Saving an old quilt, a soap opera!

My very best friend wanted me to repair her grandmothers' quilt. It is not great beauty but has sentimental value.
My BFF and her husband use t on their bed. Not an heirloom. But special to them.

I lovingly replaced small squares that rotted through, by hand. This is the kind of friend you extend yourself for. I did not enjoy the repair. And I put on a new binding.... Then the cat got sick on the precious quilt!! After carefully hand washing the quilt, my friend laid it on the clothes line to dry.

Her landlady's cleaning lady shoved the quilt aside and it tore.My BFF and her husband were distraught. Now, I am asked to rescue the old quilt. I think I will have to put on a new backing. Replace the binding? I do not make big quilts. I do not hand quilt. I am not sure what to do. This is,my BFF!!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:45 PM
RST

IF it tore that easily, this may be a case of a quilt whose time is done. What if you were to give your friend a couple of alternatives. Would she be happy with a pair of pillow shams made from the least damaged portions of the original? What about artfully cutting out a portion and framing it for display on the wall?

I have to say -- I've had some older quilts that I liked for sentimental reasons and which I tried to repair. However, once the fabric starts to decay, it's a constant and ongoing process of fixing and repairing, and at some point, it's better to make and enjoy a new quilt.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM

I agree with RST, could you possibly make her a copy?
Old 11-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

One thing you should tell your friend is never to hang a quilt on a clothesline to dry. There is a *lot* of extra weight in a quilt when it is wet. Water is very heavy, and it puts a lot of stress on the quilting threads (and the fabric). She went to all the work of hand washing the quilt, so she should have laid it flat to dry. Outside you want to lay down a large flat sheet, spread the quilt on top, and then lay another flat sheet on top of the quilt, anchoring the edges with rocks. And this should be done in shade (because sunlight fades the dyes in cotton fabric). I do agree with the others, though, that the fabric is beginning to go.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Maybe others on this most learned board can help you with my idea which is to make sort of a duvet cover for this precious quilt. I have been absent from the quilting board for most of this year as I didn't have internet. I can't help but believe there has to be someway to save this quilt. dotcom you are in the right place for help.If these ladies can't help no one can.

Ladibug
Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Since I know you, I know you will fix it, and groan a bit, but it will look better than it ever did .. You will realize that you did the right thing, as you will see a special smile on her face when you give it back.. Keep smiling, and I can only hope that when we meet up again, you don't smack me in the head when I am not looking for suggesting it!!!
Old 11-24-2013, 12:37 PM

It is very difficult to tell a BFF that you can't do this for her. You might consider telling her that you thought a lot about the quilt and realized that you do not have the ability or skill to repair her quilt and that any further repair will probably not hold up either as the fabric is shredding. Suggest that she get a quilt rack to display it in the bedroom, or suggest she contact professional people who do quilt restoring.

I know I was heart broken when my mother threw out my favorite quilt that was in rags and I was an adult at the time! I would have loved to have that old quilt still around to look at even if it was not useable any more.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Do the best you can with the repair and then incase the whole quilt in tulle. It will keep the quilt intact and the quilt can still be seen and enjoyed.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Pennyhal has the right idea. I would explain to my friend that it has become too fragile for everyday use. Because of the fragile fabric it is now a restoration job not a repair job, any repairs would not last. I would suggest a quilt rack for her for Christmas.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:13 PM

If I really didn't think I could fix it I'd be honest and tell her I am sorry but I am unable to fix it. I am sure it won't ruin the friendship.