Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saving an old quilt, a soap opera! >

Saving an old quilt, a soap opera!

Saving an old quilt, a soap opera!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM

I think if you really want to go out of your way for this friend, I might offer to duplicate it, and put the other CAREFULLY on display somewhere. But obviously the quilt is too delicate for normal use, and I think I would suggest she not ruin it further.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
My very best friend wanted me to repair her grandmothers' quilt. It is not great beauty but has sentimental value.
My BFF and her husband use t on their bed. Not an heirloom. But special to them.

I lovingly replaced small squares that rotted through, by hand. This is the kind of friend you extend yourself for. I did not enjoy the repair. And I put on a new binding.... Then the cat got sick on the precious quilt!! After carefully hand washing the quilt, my friend laid it on the clothes line to dry.

Her landlady's cleaning lady shoved the quilt aside and it tore.My BFF and her husband were distraught. Now, I am asked to rescue the old quilt. I think I will have to put on a new backing. Replace the binding? I do not make big quilts. I do not hand quilt. I am not sure what to do. This is,my BFF!!
Nancy Zeiman did a show years ago about saving old quilts. What she recommended was to do what ever repairs could be gently done, then using bridal illusion (think bridal veil) she encased the entire quilt in a sort of duvet cover, then followed the original quilting lines to give it a much longer life. Bridal illusion is a polyester product, so it is pretty sturdy, but never again put the quilt in a washing machine. This might just save her quilt?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by klgls View Post
jazzykwilter - awesome work. It's great that you have the patience and knowledge to give new life to the cherished heirlooms.
Thank you - to me, they are treasures. I can't work on one of these without feeling the warmth and spirit of the original maker looking over my shoulder.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM

I'm with BellaBoo. Encase the quilt in tulle and baste the tulle to the top. The colors show through, the quilt is protected, and you can still enjoy it. The basting stitches won't show that much and they will have the quilt to enjoy.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:43 PM

If the quilt means that much to them they can always take a peice of the top and put it into a frame and mat and hang it on the wall.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 PM

I hope you will report back to us about the decision you two make. So I'm subscribing to this thread. This has been a very interesting discussion and I look forward to the solution and maybe photos later on.