Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saving an old quilt, a soap opera! >

Saving an old quilt, a soap opera!

Saving an old quilt, a soap opera!

Old 11-24-2013, 03:43 PM

Maybe even suggest framing a square or two. I have seen a couple done that way and they were very pretty. If it tore once, it is fragile and will likely tear again.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM

I agree with all who've suggested that you be honest with your friend about the quilt's fragile nature. You've been given several good ideas re: how she might continue to enjoy the quilt (e.g. rack, frame, encasement, division into smaller pieces). If you think your friend will be too disappointed by these, I love the idea of offering to make her a replica quilt - if you're up for the commitment, of course. Since she's your BFF, she might see this as the ultimate gift, as the quilt would represent both your friendship AND everything the older quilt represents.

just my humble opinion, of course :-)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 AM

There are several reasons that an heirloom will deteriorate-long time use as a bed cover, quality of fabric, environmental conditions, etc. People need to understand that if they use a quilt and not keep it in museum-like standard air conditions it will suffer damage. I would suggest you ask your friend to go to a quilt restoring service and talk it or go with her to a quilt appraiser. That way you free yourself from emotional involvement and trying to do a task you may not be equipped to do. Restoration involves far more that just repair of rips, etc. Suggesting display in some fashion is probably the best idea. Since your friend does not appear to know how to properly treat the quilt in question I'm sure she does not understand the reasons for deterioration and that she is contributing to it. Have an honest conversation-your lovely friendship will not suffer for it.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Do the best you can with the repair and then incase the whole quilt in tulle. It will keep the quilt intact and the quilt can still be seen and enjoyed.
My grandmother made simple patchwork quilts with flannels and cottons for her Great Grand Kids. Batting was not used and the quilt was not tied or quilted. Just simple quilts done without binding which the children treasured a LOT. Mine were about 5 and 7 years old at that time and they are now in their 40s! They took those quilts to college with them. A few years after that, my daughter asked me if I could repair her quilt. Some of the squares were literally shredded, beyond repair as well as the backing. What I did was purchase new flannel for the back, layer it with batting, gently rearranged the shreds so the prints could be still seen, put the whole quilt on top of that AND put the softest, finest tulle I could find on top. I FMQ'ed the whole quilt before putting the binding on it. My son's quilt was in better shape so I fixed some areas. The backing was not so great so I bought fleece in his favorite color since the winters are very chilly in his state. These quilts are still treasured to this day. I meant to add my grandmother was not a quilter and she made those quilts from scraps from her sewing projects.

Last edited by quilttiger; 11-25-2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Add'l information
Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

After everything it's been through I would gently suggest putting it to rest with the suggestions others have mentioned. A beautiful quilt rack displaying the quilt would be a great way.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:21 AM

A shadow box to keep the poor quilt would allow your BFF to keep and admire her treasure for many years to come, just a suggestion. Maybe you could make a quilt together for new treasured memories.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:26 AM

As one who used a couple of treasured quilts until they were beyond repair, I used a quilt rack in my bedroom for display until our house burned.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Restoring antique and vintage quilts is something I love to do and which I charge for. The care it takes to handle fragile fabrics is very time consuming but I think worth it for those sentimental pieces. That being said, let me add that in most old quilts there are pieces which have disintegrated and others which have held their own. I recently restored this quilt and it involved totally deconstructing the blocks, replacing sections of the Dresden plates, putting on new backing for the individual blocks for stability, then replacing the sashings, batting (which was all wadded up and unsalvageable) and backing. My goal is always to honor the original quiltmaker. See what you think!
Attached Thumbnails copy-2-may-2013-076.jpg   post-restoration-pictures-027.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM

jazzykwilter - awesome work. It's great that you have the patience and knowledge to give new life to the cherished heirlooms.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM
QM
Power Poster

What tore? If it was ONLY the back, that can be replaced. I recently did that. Oftentimes, people use inferior fabric on the back. If it is here and there front and back, Jazykwilter has the right (and very time consuming) approach.

Last edited by QM; 11-25-2013 at 09:08 AM.