Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Secret to Pieced Backings >

The Secret to Pieced Backings

The Secret to Pieced Backings

Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Yes Jeanne S, your backs are so wonderful your quilts are reversible!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info on the craftsy class.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:26 PM

This is one of my favorite backs. It was for the log cabin in my avatar. I used up a bunch of 1/2 yard pieces. I cut them down to be about 15x30 and staggered the rows so it looked like brickwork. Works great as a filler between 2 sections of larger fabric pieces also.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516346[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails log-cabin-back.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 PM

Used a few scraps to make the back a bit more interesting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516359[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1030.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 02:54 AM

All the quilts shared are very nice and great ideas.

Jeanne S., in your 2nd photo you have a long curvy line you quilted. Did you use a pattern? I've been looking for one.

Thank you,
Sharon
Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 AM

Those are some beautiful backs!! Thanks Jeanne S. for all the pictures. So here's a question - with piecing on the front and the back, do you find the quilting more difficult because of all the thickness at the seams? I only FMQ and I have troubles with the front seams sometimes (if I go too fast, I skip stitches) but since I only have seams in the front I can see them coming and plan for it. If they were hidden on the back I would not be expecting them. Am I the only one with this issue?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 AM

Jeanne S thank you for the pics. I think you should do a tutorial on piecing the back. these look grand.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:24 AM

Does anyone have any tips and tricks for keeping the backing straight with the top when sandwiching the two together. In other words, how do you keep the centers of the back with the centers of the top since the backing and batting are cut larger than the top at that point. I glue baste.
I read somewhere where someone said they put a safety pin the the center of the back so they could feel it when they were matching it to the front. I haven't tried that yet.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Does anyone have any tips and tricks for keeping the backing straight with the top when sandwiching the two together. In other words, how do you keep the centers of the back with the centers of the top since the backing and batting are cut larger than the top at that point. I glue baste.
I read somewhere where someone said they put a safety pin the the center of the back so they could feel it when they were matching it to the front. I haven't tried that yet.
This is the tricky part and difficult to do. This is why pieced backings are hard to show off. If they are a bit crooked, then it shows.

Here are a couple of mine. I suppose they "look like" I ran out of fabric. In truth, I did--I have to piece most backings as I don't have enough of one fabric to back a typical queen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516363[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]516364[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]516365[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pieced-backing-1.jpg   pbacking2.jpg   pbacking-3.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts View Post
All the quilts shared are very nice and great ideas.

Jeanne S., in your 2nd photo you have a long curvy line you quilted. Did you use a pattern? I've been looking for one.

Thank you,
Sharon
Sharon,
I have not gotten the hang of FMQ yet, so I only quilt with my walking foot, and that curvy line was just done freestyle or 'eyeballing' it with my walking foot. I sew the first curvy line in the middle of the quilt, then work my way across with similar lines keeping an eye on the distance from the first line. No pattern, and I don't take the time to mark my quilts either. So the result is not exact, but 'close enough' for me. ;o) I actually find curvy lines easier than straight lines, as the variances are not quite as noticeable when the lines curve.