Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Secret to Pieced Backings >

The Secret to Pieced Backings

The Secret to Pieced Backings

Old 04-09-2015, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Those are some beautiful backs!! Thanks Jeanne S. for all the pictures. So here's a question - with piecing on the front and the back, do you find the quilting more difficult because of all the thickness at the seams? I only FMQ and I have troubles with the front seams sometimes (if I go too fast, I skip stitches) but since I only have seams in the front I can see them coming and plan for it. If they were hidden on the back I would not be expecting them. Am I the only one with this issue?
I have not had any issues with the additional seams on the back. BUT, since I can't FMQ yet, I only quilt with my walking foot, and my Juki plows through all the thicknesses without missing a beat. I can see where the added seams might be an issue when FMQ, but just don't have any experience with that (wish I did!!!).
Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 AM

These are some great quilt backs!

I deliberately piece mine sometimes, but other times I just want to be done with it and use a wide backing piece.

Some of these quilts posted here makes me want to spend more time on the backs now, though!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I deliberately piece mine sometimes, but other times I just want to be done with it and use a wide backing piece.
Yes!!!!

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Some of these quilts posted here makes me want to spend more time on the backs now, though!
Yes, yes, yes again!!!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

This is the back of a quilt that I saw in a show once. I thought the lady was very creative.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5383.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the visuals it really helps!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:16 AM

Love those backs, Jeanne. I do that as well but yours look a lot more interesting!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:26 AM

Most of my backs have some additions, LOL. Only one or two are the same all the way across but even those are pieced using the same fabric to get them big enough.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:37 AM

I do mostly throw size (bigger than lap but smaller/shorter than twin). Usually 4 yards of regular width material is enough to cover the short side (2 yds = 72 inches) and 40* 2 is enough to cover the length... However, I hate having just a plain seam so I often insert pieces/blocks or strips. Most of the time they end up somewhere around the middle unless I plan when layering. My backing is usually wider than my front by a good few inches so I try to align a seam from the top with the seams on the bottom on both sides. It actually gets it pretty darn straight. I don't often take pics of the back, so I don't really have any examples to show.

On my last quilt which was King-sized, my 108 inch wide fabric shrunk a good 6+ inches and was too small. In that case I pieced a width of a different material and ran it across the top of the quilt. What's great is this now allows for a pretty "turn down" effect on our bed. It was a "mistake" that turned out great and I am tempted to do it for any bedquilts that I do in the future!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:14 AM

What a great idea. I have started to collect left over pieces. Wish I had seen this before I completed the quilt.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Sharon,
I have not gotten the hang of FMQ yet, so I only quilt with my walking foot, and that curvy line was just done freestyle or 'eyeballing' it with my walking foot. I sew the first curvy line in the middle of the quilt, then work my way across with similar lines keeping an eye on the distance from the first line. No pattern, and I don't take the time to mark my quilts either. So the result is not exact, but 'close enough' for me. ;o) I actually find curvy lines easier than straight lines, as the variances are not quite as noticeable when the lines curve.
I did a curvy line on a quilt with my walking foot on a strip quilt but I used points on a chevron fabric as a point of reference as I eyeballed it. The curvy line was on a solid fabric strip and I echo quilted using the side of my walking foot as a guide. However, when I went to another section of the quilt I wasn't sure I could match the curve (no chevron near that strip to use as a reference). I tried to make a pattern of the curvy line but the pattern needs work.

I have not found a rhythm with FMQ either. Once I finish a couple quilts I'm working on, I'm going to try again. I got Leah Day's download on quilting basics and FMQ and have been watching that.

Thank you.