Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selvage Savers Savvy >

Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

YoBroSew ... Thanks for the info and links.
Now, please do show us some pics of your selvage quilts!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
YoBroSew ... Thanks for the info and links.
Now, please do show us some pics of your selvage quilts!
Do you know off hand the best size pic to post; saw somewhere around the halls of this place but can't remember which door the info is behind...
Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Do you know off hand the best size pic to post; saw somewhere around the halls of this place but can't remember which door the info is behind...
I just post the pics I have, as they are ... haven't had to resize, so I can't answer your question.
Try them the way they are and see how that works.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:05 PM

I save them when I think of it.....someday I will make something clever with them.....so many ideas of items made with them...I have a big box full...yeah and still growing!!!
Oh no!
Don't start saving them for me!!!

As I said at the start, I have not been a SS ... though there's been a few times lately where I wantedmore fabric and did not have the selvage info, to make life easier for that ISO. The only reason I might keep the selvages is for that historical reference.

While OKSGlad's Chickies are cuties ... I don't see me making them.
So, so far, no one has convinced me that I really want to collect ... other than save it as a reference.

You can send OKSGlad your selvages ..................... and for the free advertising she has garnered, I'm going to be like DDamsel, and with high hopes, remind her that I am a QBuddy too! Darn it all, they won't mail easily!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:18 PM

I just post the pics I have, as they are ... haven't had to resize, so I can't answer your question.
Try them the way they are and see how that works.
OK. I hope this isn't overkill or way too big or much.

This is just a top, a very worn out top as got put to use before got quilted. First pic is on bed (a bit sloppily) just to show. Second is where it is used; a part of the closet turned into a reading nook. (gonna post these first to see how big/small for the rest.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]445273[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails toponly.jpg   toponly.jpg   quiltcloset.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

YoBroSew ... Size looks fine to me ... and wow, what a lot of selvages and sewing!
Look forward to seeing more of your selvage creations.

HuntAnnette ... now there's some inspiration for your Selvage Stash!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:35 PM

OK. A big big AND blury! Drats! Here are some squares from the quilt; you can see their is a lot of randomness. I had to really focus in not getting lost in trying to organize and plan because if I allowed myself to coordinate, with the hodgepodge of selvages, I would still be planning. I get lost in planning. There is everything imaginable for print designs; french fries to Elvis to Santa Clause to flowers to animals. A lot of the squares the kids did as they walked by the sewing machine. So, this was not an endeavor taken seriously and actually has a very amateurish feel to it that makes it authentically a "happy blanket" vs a quilt. Here are some close up squares. This was not made with the interfacing. AND I really was clueless as to anything quilting. My awesome, most wonderful SIL who is an artist with her quilts passed on her selvages when I said upon seeing a selvage quilt (looks stunning and professional; crisp), "Now, I could do that." Whenever I would go to her house I would fondle her stash as I have always had a love afair with fabrics. I have moved into paper piecing some now but will keep using the selvages, even in the pp'ing, as it is THERE to be used and I don't have to purchase any fabric. (I am afraid I would get stuck in decision mode if I planned colors!) I am so grateful to my SIL for not laughing at my wanting-but-never-doing for so many years.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445276[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]445279[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]445278[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]445280[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails squarea.jpg   squareb.jpg   squarec.jpg   squaresb.jpg   squared.jpg  

Old 11-06-2013, 02:44 PM

They make pretty rugs. Someone at my LQS has one up there that they made. I think it is hooked-kind of looks like crocheted coils.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM

The only other one I have is one where son made about half the blocks and I only have four rows quilted. I don't even, horrors, use a quilting foot; just randomly wave across the row. Again, this is not one with the fusible interfacing so not crisp but most of the blocks were done three years ago by son; he just wants his blanket done!

I totally get how this is not for most quilters and I am afraid my work may validate the naysayers reasons for not engaging with these scraps. Not everyone's need be so "unpressed" looking. Unfortunately, I do not have any of the more finessed ones to take pics of.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445281[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]445282[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]445283[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]445284[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilted.jpg   quiltedb.jpg   qsquarea.jpg   quiltsqareb.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Great that your kids have worked with you on these ... makes them a treasure of their own because of the group effort!