Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selvage Savers Savvy >

Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Sorry have to confess I only read 7 of the pages then got interrupted but I save 'some'. I love scrap quilts and I often throw in a few of these strips to add interest. They work well in strip, string or crumb quilts.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I never had a use for them. Then one day I needed a book and posted here on QB for it. GREYHOUND MOM offered to send me the book if I would just save her my selvages. The book arrived at my door a few days later. I starting saving selvages that day and have since sent her two boxes of them and close to having enough for a third box. I was so taken back by her trust and kindness that I will forever save her my selvages. A good friend of mine was ready to make the quilt from the book and borrowed it. She told me she was finished with it and would bring it back next time we met. She went on vacation and was feeling bad when she came home and entered the hospital and died two days later. I didn't have the heart to ask for it from her family. A beautiful quilt that she handmade and my wife had quilted for her covered her casket.
Jim, I have to ask...What was the name of the book? Perhaps someone here might have a copy they would share with you. Just a thought. And if a bit of time has passed, I (myself) would not be ashamed to ask family gently if they might look through 'her' quilting things for a book she borrowed from you.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Let me start by saying, I have not been a selvage saver
though I have been considering doing so.

I've started this thread to encourage a discussion about Saving Selvages.
... the good, the bad and the ugly!!!!

Some questions that could help me, and hopefully many other people ....

1. Do you? I do. or Don't you? save selvages.

2. Why do you save selvage? Because now I can't throw them away.
Do you have an end-purpose-project planned? What?No specific plans, although, I have used them in a couple of pincushions. There are plenty of things I hope to make and quilt some day.
Do you keep them for historical referencein case you need more later? No.

3. How much do you keep ... width? length? I cut about 2" widths.
What do you do with them, once they have been cut... I fold them up and store them together in a container.

4. What questions have I not asked? Please answer those too!!
More commonly known as Other Comments! ????
Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Very clever setting, SandyinZ4. Adding the nonwhite selvage takes some of the white brightness from block and makes it more interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I agree about the off whites being used!! It helps to see what others are doing to make or break us as selvage savers.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Let me start by saying, I have not been a selvage saver
though I have been considering doing so.

I've started this thread to encourage a discussion about Saving Selvages.
... the good, the bad and the ugly!!!!

Some questions that could help me, and hopefully many other people ....

1. Do you? I do. or Don't you? save selvages.

2. Why do you save selvage? Because now I can't throw them away.
Do you have an end-purpose-project planned? What?No specific plans, although, I have used them in a couple of pincushions. There are plenty of things I hope to make and quilt some day.
Do you keep them for historical referencein case you need more later? No.

3. How much do you keep ... width? length? I cut about 2" widths.
What do you do with them, once they have been cut... I fold them up and store them together in a container.

4. What questions have I not asked? Please answer those too!!
More commonly known as Other Comments! ????
Thank yo for posting the thread. It has been fascinating to hear people's stories behind the answers to your questions, which has exemplified the "community" in the site's name, "Quilting BOARD". The sharing of how and why each that posted is or is not a selvage saver has been informative. The journey from introduction to selvage saving to learning more about it and the methods applied has been wonderful! We all have selvages in our lives -- our memories of those that have passed in and out of our lives; Jim's story answered most of the questions presented and touched our lives.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Hello YoBroSew ... You're Welcome!!! (actually it was I that started this thread)

To All .... As an update for those that might be curious ... I have started saving the selvages (somewhat haphazardly though). For now, I am saving 2-1/2" of fabric with the selvage as it gives me a good register if looking for a specific fabric. Plus will give me a useful piece of fabric if I decide to cut off the selvage later! They are in a large glass jar, each folded and set in on top of the previous. For now, I have no plans for them at this point.

And yes ... I have already dug into that jar to find a couple of pieces to use to search for some more of the same.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Jim

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
Jim, I have to ask...What was the name of the book? Perhaps someone here might have a copy they would share with you. Just a thought. And if a bit of time has passed, I (myself) would not be ashamed to ask family gently if they might look through 'her' quilting things for a book she borrowed from you.

Sandy thanks for your reply. After I wrote the post I went onto Eleanor Burns website and bought a new copy and it was on sale!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare View Post
I have been saving selvages because there is always someone on this board that wants them. I put them in a ziploc bag and when the bag is full, I post to see if anyone wants them. Our LQS covered a chair with them. That is not for me or my liking. But, to each his own. Someone asked if 1/2" fabric be left on selvage, others like the words and brands on selvages. I just put them in my bag and let the person who gets it decide what they want. I do not measure. You could make cute mug rugs, place mats, table runners, purses, pot holders. You could even make a quilt. That takes lots of selvages

These are my thoughts exactly. I do not do it but save for others.

I have so much I want to do, Selvages would really slow me down, but I love what others do with them!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:06 AM

We use them at the shop to tie up sale FQs and fat eighths. I have also used them to whipstitch the edges of locker hooking projects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iQwz-JesM
Old 11-10-2013, 01:57 PM

I have made several quilts from selveges I cut mine 1-1/2" I would post a pic, but I don't know how.