Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selvage Savers Savvy >

Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM

yobrosew! Those are just wonderful! I love how all o' us have different likes & dislikes in the things we make. I save my selvages for my friends but some day I'll start keepin' 'em just for me. Your quilts show me just how wonderful they can be.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 PM

I make purses out of the salvages. I save them and just started saving christmas ones. I cut off at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch of fabric with the salvage. Don't throw them away.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 PM

I've been saving mine to cover the cushion on my sewing stool., but need more. DD having been saving for me also. My dog chewed the corners off and it looks pretty ratty. Love the idea of using fusible to put them together. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

As much as I am frugal and inclined to hoard, I don't save selvages (for sewing anyway). I do use them in our garden, but items made from them just don't seem to appeal to me. I do however save other things for quilts and waggas (Aussie quilts) and bags - just not selvages.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Jim

I never had a use for them. Then one day I needed a book and posted here on QB for it. GREYHOUND MOM offered to send me the book if I would just save her my selvages. The book arrived at my door a few days later. I starting saving selvages that day and have since sent her two boxes of them and close to having enough for a third box. I was so taken back by her trust and kindness that I will forever save her my selvages. A good friend of mine was ready to make the quilt from the book and borrowed it. She told me she was finished with it and would bring it back next time we met. She went on vacation and was feeling bad when she came home and entered the hospital and died two days later. I didn't have the heart to ask for it from her family. A beautiful quilt that she handmade and my wife had quilted for her covered her casket.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
As much as I am frugal and inclined to hoard, I don't save selvages (for sewing anyway). I do use them in our garden, but items made from them just don't seem to appeal to me. I do however save other things for quilts and waggas (Aussie quilts) and bags - just not selvages.
The question that begs to be asked ........ what is the difference between quilts and waggas?
Please? and Thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I've been saving mine to cover the cushion on my sewing stool., but need more. DD having been saving for me also. My dog chewed the corners off and it looks pretty ratty. Love the idea of using fusible to put them together. Thanks for the tip.
What colors of selvages would you like? I have some nice ones that I held back from the "utility quilts" of the kiddos and enough to get your seat done. Most are a bit wider so project will go faster. I would love to pay my SIL's generosity forward. pm me if would like. (Smoke and animal free home if that an issue).
Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 AM

[QUOTE=QuiltE;6391574]The question that begs to be asked ........ what is the difference between quilts and waggas?
Please? and Thanks![/QUOTE
What other things you save? And yes, I am curios about the finer differences between quilts and wages. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I never had a use for them. Then one day I needed a book and posted here on QB for it. GREYHOUND MOM offered to send me the book if I would just save her my selvages. The book arrived at my door a few days later. I starting saving selvages that day and have since sent her two boxes of them and close to having enough for a third box. I was so taken back by her trust and kindness that I will forever save her my selvages. A good friend of mine was ready to make the quilt from the book and borrowed it. She told me she was finished with it and would bring it back next time we met. She went on vacation and was feeling bad when she came home and entered the hospital and died two days later. I didn't have the heart to ask for it from her family. A beautiful quilt that she handmade and my wife had quilted for her covered her casket.
Greyhound mom, if you are reading, how about pics of what you do with the selvages???
Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I make purses out of the salvages. I save them and just started saving christmas ones. I cut off at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch of fabric with the salvage. Don't throw them away.
Would love to see some of purses????