Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing cabinet for PQ1500s????? >

sewing cabinet for PQ1500s?????

sewing cabinet for PQ1500s?????

Old 02-13-2016, 11:53 AM

Default sewing cabinet for PQ1500s?????

Hey all, I'm really enjoying my new/used PQ1500s and have been looking at a variety of options for sewing cabinets that it would fit in. I'm short and so I'd like to be able to sink the machine into the cabinet since I do a lot of FMQ.

My other two Brother machines fit very nicely in Arrow's sewnatra cabinet and I've gotten used to switching them in and out. However, that cabinet is just a little too small for the PQ1500s--and I really don't want to be switching three machines in and out of it, so I've decided to bite the bullet and look for another cabinet to house the PQ1500s.

Do any of you other PQ1500s folks have suggestions as to cabinets that fit the machine?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-13-2016, 01:19 PM

Check out the Gidget 2. I have the Juki, which is similar and it's great in that table. I don't use the extension table that came with it, I use an acrylic insert that fits the table.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 PM

I am looking at buying the 1500 and the dealer told me that the 1500 would fit in all the Arrow cabinets. Maybe I misunderstood her. She did say that the Gidget1 would have only about an inch to spare and wouldn't need the insert.
I understood that all the others wouid hold the 1500 but would need the insert if I wanted it flush with the table top.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM

Thanks Katier and tapper for replying.
Katie,

I've been thinking about the Gidget 2 and wondered if you need to put anything under the PQ1500s to get it up high enough to sit flush with the table, or if the Gidget 2 platform adjusts enough to work. How high is your Juki from the feet at the base of the machine to the needle plate? Is it shorter than most domestic machines like the PQ1500s? Also, what about the location of your bobbin? The PQ1500s is a vertical bobbin located on the end of the machine so I was wondering if there is enough room in the Gidget 2 to get your hand in under the insert to put the bobbin in?

Tapper, I have the Arrow Sewnatra (their smallest cabinet with airlift) and the 1500 will fit in it, but it is awkward for two reasons:

1. The height of the 1500s from the base to the needle plate is 2 and 3/4 inches, most machines are at least 3 and 3/4 inches. This is important when you go to adjust the airlift mechanism to the position where the needle plate sits flush with the table. It can't be adjusted high enough for the PQ1500s to sit flush unless you put something that is about 3/4 to 1 inch thick underneath the PQ1500s. I don't mind doing this--I currently use two different machines in the Sewnatra and one is slightly shorter than the other, so rather than constantly adjusting I set it for the taller one, then use a couple sheets of thick cardboard to raise the shorter one up.

2. The main problem is that the PQ1500s takes up almost the entire platform of the Sewnatra, so it is a little tight to get to the bobbin case without raising the machine up. That's why I was wondering about the other Arrow cabinets. Some of them have a little larger opening.

I would be careful of the Gidget 1 because you might find it very difficult to get to the bobbin without raising the machine up above the table surface.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

I love the 1500 but taking the bobbin in and out is a real hassle for me. I always drop it or can't seat it properly the first few tries. I don't have it in a cabinet, just sitting on top of a table. Please post a picture of the table you select.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:51 AM

I had a 1500 and getting to the bobbin was a real pain. I finally took the bobbin cover off. I switched to a Juki 2010 and bought a SewEzi table.

The SewEzi is open on the right side. That would mean you could remove the insert and slide the machine to the right to get at the bobbin without damaging any connectors.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:36 AM

I have my Juki TL98Q (very similar in size to your machine) in the SewEzi table and it works beautifully!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 AM

Hey all,
I finally decided to make myself an adjustable height table for the PQ1500s. I'm really short and have decided that even though I've FMQ'd for years using my old machines in an Arrow table with air lift, they are still higher than is ergonomically right for me. I found a set of 4 legs that are adjustable in 1" increments at Amazon.com for $65. They should be here in a couple of weeks at which point I'll make my table and post a pic. so other PQ1500s folks can see what I did. I'm not a carpenter, so what I'm planning will be something that anyone who is comfortable with an electric drill and power screw driver can put together.

Rob
Old 02-18-2016, 10:46 AM

I have the Arrow Olivia table and I just LOVE it. It's also pretty enough to look like furniture. My sewing are is in a corner of my dining room....

I have the Juki 2010 which I believe is pretty close in size to the Brother 1500. In order to get it up high enough I have a board the size of the base to raise up the machine. It works perfect for me.

Good luck and let me know if you want see pictures of the board Its just a 1 inch piece of particle board my mom had in her garage. I still need to paint it white.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:26 AM

Thanks Susan,
I thought that would be the case with just about all the Arrow cabinets. I've decided for now that I am going to build myself something that will allow me to adjust the entire height of the table so the machine will actually be lower than it is when sunk into one of the manufactured cabinets that are on the market today. It won't be pretty, but then most of the things in my studio aren't LOL.

Rob