Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting in an RV >

quilting in an RV

quilting in an RV

Old 02-23-2016, 08:26 AM

Default quilting in an RV

We will be moving into a 33' 5th wheel RV and I'm wondering if any of you are quilting in an RV. If you are, do you have any tips about how you do it and if you like it. We will be living full time in it and will be in AZ where the weather is great for us most of the years. Summers of course will be a different story. There are several quilting groups here and great fabric stores close by. Would love to hear about your experiences about quilting in "tiny homes"
Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 AM

Yes! There are a lot of us who sew in our RV's. I read about others frequently on the Featherweight and 301 Facebook page I belong to. These are so easy to transport and I love to sew on them. I just got a 301 table so I plan to sew on that. I can store it next to my side of the bed in our 28 foot 5th wheeler. I have a whole drawer under the seats of our kitchen table to store my supplies. The fact that you are living for long periods is different than my case, I usually just have one project at a time with me. Since you have so many places to shop says you have to sew!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:26 AM

You will have a great time. Remember, space is a premium so don't buy too much fabric at those wonderful shops. You know how we are...we call it stache.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:58 AM

I did it when we were living in our motor home during a move where it took us several months to find/buy a house. I only had what I needed for one project at a time, used my featherweight & did hand quilting. The hardest part was giving away the excess fabric rather than store it but I found a guild that could use it for community service projects. Worked out great!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:06 PM

I lived in a 22ft caravan after our house sold and before we found our new home. Space was tight, but I managed to sew lap quilts. We had an awning on the side of the van where I put a table with my fold up ironing board on top. Only real problem was my DH hunger pangs and having to put everything away once the meal was ready!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I have very high regard to you and your DH for choosing this way to live. DH thought he wanted to be a RVer so we rented a big one for the summer. He couldn't wait to get it unrented. I learned I needed my sewing room. I'm sure you'll figure out a way quilt.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I don't think I could even pull fabric for a quilt project in a tiny house. I find the show on HGTV interesting but never could live in something that small.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:44 PM

We have a 40ft that we live in for 4 months in the summer. I try to cut everything out I am going to make and put each project in a zip lock. I make all kinds of items, like aprons, purses, bibs. baby quilts,placemats, and more. I put my bernina on the kitchen table and we do most of our dining outside. I have a small three drawer light weight thing to put all my patterns, thread cutters, pins and other notions. Keep the cutout fabric items in a plastic tote and keep that in the truck on on the patio. I have a small table top ironing board. It is crowed even with a 40 ft but I manage. Have a great time. We live in AZ and go to the White Mountains in the summer.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:49 PM

I recently talked with a woman who spent winters in an RV park in Arizona which had a good size group of quilters. They would get together in the clubhouse which has large tables and space for them to work together. They eventually went together with the owners and bought a longarm machine to use. Sounds ideal, don't know how often that happens.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 PM

I am interested in the same thing. Hoping to live if not full time in our 5th wheel at least many months a year in it. When we have camped for just a week or two at a time in it, I have taken my featherweight and items for just one quilt with us. It's great if you are camping someplace with a hall or even a group of picnic tables under a wood awning so you can gather with a bunch of other quilters. Yesterday I just read on one website where a woman tows a utility trailer behind their motor home specifically set up for her quilting. That way she had plenty of room and a permanent setup. However you need a motor home so you can tow that utility trailer. Since we have a 5th wheel we can't tow a utility trailer for me...darn. Please post how you end up dealing with it or ideas you find. Thanks.