Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting in an RV >

quilting in an RV

quilting in an RV

Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 PM

I have a small caravan I eat in the awning and sew on the dining table in the caravan. I have made full size single quilts as the table is 5' long and about 2' wide. I do travel alone with 2 dogs. I take two or three projects and the notions I will need. I have a great time. I do practice my fmq in the caravan on small scrap pieces.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:34 AM

Many parks have a community room that can be used by residents on a scheduled basis. This was the case at a Colorado park we stayed at last summer (quilters/sewers have the building for one or two days a week) and a local park in Florida where some quilting friends live/lived. Others set up on a table under their canopy, as other posters have noted.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 AM

DH and I lived in a 40' 5th wheel for 3 years. I loved it and would be very happy if we were still in it. Moved into a house so grandkids would have room to visit. They never stay. Long story short. Living in the 5th wheel was when I really "got into" quilting. I made several queen size quilts, a king size, a boat load of baby quilts, and a whole bunch of table/dresser toppers. The hardest thing was sandwiching the king size quilt. I ended up taking it to the club house and using several tables. I sandwiched the queen size quilts on our bed. I did all the quilting with a domestic machine on our little table (Puget Sound is not conducive to leaving machines outside). I learned my true calling as a quilter. The hardest thing in Arizona is crossing the miles between quilt shops. If you will be in the Phoenix area there are plenty, but it takes a hour+ to cross the Phx metro area, and that's just one way, another hour to get back. Quilting in an RV is totally possible.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 AM

Yup, I quilt in my RV! 34' 5th Wheel. I have a piece of 3/4" plywood about 24" X 18" I covered for an ironing surface I use on the kitchen counter or put on a folding table. Tucks away when not in use easily. I travel with my Janome 6600P that is great for piecing and quilting and sew on our kitchen table and have a padded travel case for. My big cutting mat sits under it when I sew in case I'm cutting big pieces here and there and I also have a small mat for trimming that works on a small fold up table. Store the big one behind the couch when not using. While we're parked I keep my machine in the padded case under the table to the back out of the way when not in use, and under the bed when we travel. My fabric and tools are in totes that fit under the bed and are easy to tuck in here and there. Several RV parks we've been in have really nice craft rooms set up for quilters and crafters to use which is nice for those big projects and the social aspects of quilting . I've cut and trimmed fabric on the patio outside too. Anyway, you get the gist. Very doable to quilt in an RV! Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:22 AM

Our 5th wheel is now parked at hubby's family farm. 3 out of 4 seasons, we spend long weekends there. While, he is busy doing farm things, I have time to quilt. Because we eat most meals at the house, my sewing has taken over the eating area. In the beginning, I had my machine on the dining table. After a while, the dining chair started bothering my back and I started making changes. I've replaced all the rv furniture. Now we have 2 recliners in the living area. I wanted a machine that I could leave in the rv. I found a vintage Brother at an estate sale, no electronics to worry about and heavy duty enough to mend my MILs horse blankets. I removed the dining table and chairs and found an old machine cabinet and an office chair at yard sales. I also added a smaller table that I use for pressing and cutting. I use the upper storage for my rulers, books, fabric and tools in the living-dining slide. Quilting is very doable in an RV, you just have to figure what works for you.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 AM

we lived in our 32ft.class A for about 2 yr. I sewed in my dinette. Only did baby and lap sized and only bought what I needed for each project. Can be done, but you have to plan carefully. Hardest thing was sandwiching the layers in the confining quarters. We lived in a park, which had a community room, so could put the tables together for this. Byw, I loved living in the motorhome, but it just was't enough room for a permanent residence, great for short term.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM

This is my first year spending 3 months in Florida in a 35 foot RV. I use a beach towel and old ironing board cover that I fit over the double sink for a pressing area and then set up my cutting area next to it over the stove. I wish I had
stored my quilting in several smaller boxes that would fit in the bottom of my closet and stack. My large box is too heavy and is too heavy and slants in the closet. I do like having my cutters, small scissors, seam ripper, and small
stuff in a small kids plastic pencil box that I can grab quickly. Be sure you have all the pieces to your projects, I found
in my haste to leave after Christmas I missed some!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:10 PM

Default Houseboat

I Have a 40 ft, House boat in KY. My home state. I go up every yr, from Fl (winter HOME), and stay from May till Sept. I leave a machine on the boat and i take up one top and one new cut quilt, to sew. I am a widow , and live alone, but have lots of friends at the Marina, and several , liveaboards. I like to hand quilt at night , watching tv. and piece by machine on Rainy Days. sunny days I go fishing.hehe. I take up with me 1 tote with supplies and usually come home with two finished quilts, Unless I give on away..
I dont usually quilt in FL as its too hot . so it works out great. My fav saying is "as you sew so shall you RIP. CMARAS1234 PS. THE LAKE IS HERRINGTON. 35 MILES LONG

Last edited by CMARAS1234; 02-24-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: ADD PS
Old 02-24-2016, 02:17 PM

I hope the transfer to a 5th wheel is a good choice for you! We are down-sizing now to move into a retirement center--2 rooms. I don't know how in the world I will survive, but my health is "dicey" now and it has to be done. No children near to move equipment to, so reality is setting in.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:36 PM

For over 10 years I have quilted in a camper. I always took my Bernina with me but this time it's an older Singer I've used for years. I have had various campers and use a small fold up table for my machine, the ironing board goes over the sink. I keep my stash under the mattress with the extras in a large sewing basket. I only do this for 3-4 months at one time however. You will have to be frugal with your things, only so much room for fabric. Good luck.