Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine advice >

Sewing machine advice

Sewing machine advice

Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Default Sewing machine advice

At Maine Quilts 2014 show I looked at a Janome 8200 and a Bernina 710. They are very similar in what they have for features. The Janome actually comes with more feet but my feet from the Berninas that I already have will fit the 710 so that's not an issue. Of course there is a difference in the price. The Janome is $1,999 and the Bernina is $3,499.

The main reason that I am looking is for the throat space. Someone suggested that I look at a Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen. The show special for that is $4,495. But I've pretty much ruled it out, even though it has more throat space than the Janome & the Bernina, because both of them have stitches that I don't have on any of my machines that I would like. So if I"m going to spend the money I want to get something that I can use for more than just machine quilting.

So does anyone have any advice? Do you think the quality of the Bernina is really worth the extra money?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:37 PM

I can't speak about the 2 you have looked at, but I just bout the Babylock Crescendo (and the Brother Dreamweaver is the same). They have the 11.25" harp and I LOVE IT. Also has laser which I am using...didn't think I would care that much..but it is helpful! Just to add more choices! It is priced more like the Bernina though, but I bet when their new machine comes out in August...the prices will drop.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:58 PM

I have the Janome Horizon. It was about $2300 at the time. I bought it for the throat space and not the 285 decorative stitches. But one should buy the features they will use. I have only used the straight stitch.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I would probably base part of the decision on service/tech support. Which machine has a local dealer where I can take advantage of free owners classes and find service and support if needed?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:37 PM

I have the Janome 8900, which is similar to the 8200. I actually went to buy the 8200 and they gave me a better deal on the 8900 with the trade in I had. I've had it for just over a year and I really like it. It just went in for its one year service and the only thing it needed (other than a good cleaning) was a slight adjustment of the auto tension. It's a dream machine!

I can't speak to the Bernina; I've never even tried one so I can't make any kind of comparison between the two.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I just want to point out that the Sweet Sixteen is a free-motion quilting machine only. It does not have feed dogs! So, it is very different from the Janome and Bernina you are considering.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:00 PM

Thanks! I am aware of that. It is very different and I did consider it for that reason but I've taken that one out of the running. The other two are more comparable except for the price and the fact that some people consider Bernina to be a better quality machine. Having said that it seems like an awful lot of people have Janomes and like them.
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I just want to point out that the Sweet Sixteen is a free-motion quilting machine only. It does not have feed dogs! So, it is very different from the Janome and Bernina you are considering.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Thanks Prism for that information! I did not know that about those Handi Quilters.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:50 PM

As an owner of two bernina's when the 7 series was introduced last year with a new "hook" system for the bobbin there were lots of buyers who had significant issues.
I would make sure to spend time sewing on one to make sure the stitch quality meets your expectations. Dealers would not openly discuss the issues, but patternreview.com has a blog with tons of comments.
good luck.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM

I have the Janome 8900qcp. I really like the machine and have not had any issues with it. I did not buy it from a local dealer so no classes but that hasn't been a problem. It is pretty intuitive and the manual is written well. I will never use all the stitches but that's not why I bought it. I wanted the large throat space and the machine I was using (a Viking) was 37 years old and showing its age. Because it had been a long time in between machines there was a steeper learning curve than if I had a newer machine to begin with but still not a problem.

I know people love their Berninas. I have not had experience with one. I have heard that only a certified Bernina dealer can get parts for Bernina so if you need to get it fixed you won't be able to take it to just anyone. That's not true for Janome. I use a repair person who makes home visits so that would factor into my decision because he wouldn't be able to fix a Bernina because of the part issue. He works on all other machines. You might want to check this out for sure but I've heard it from more than one source.