Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing room built into the garage...my dd idea >

sewing room built into the garage...my dd idea

sewing room built into the garage...my dd idea

Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM

I think I would look for a better place in the house. Too much dust for a sewing room. You will have dust in your fabric, on your quilts and in your sewing machine. Unless you enclose it totally, by then it will probably be too small if this is a shared space. I don't know where you live but you will need to consider, heat/AC, lighting, flooring, concrete floors are cold in the winter. Any space in the house already has these things, so consider the expense as well.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 AM

My sewing room is built into our garage. No problems so far. Just make sure you have it well enclosed.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

My first sewing room was in the garage. The attached workroom ( 8'w x length of garage) originally was for wood working and when I moved in the first thing i did was to convert it to a sewing room. DH Put a wall to wall table in the back of the room. I set up my shelving and added a carpet. DH put in a few light fixtures. The guy that built the garage was very smart cause he put double doors in the wall that seperated the WR from the car area. I covered the doors with white felt and split it down the center of the doors for a design wall. I was ready to go! I did hve to mouse proof the room by adding rubber strips at the bottom of the doors. Never had problem with car smells or dust from DH work area.
I loved that room but outgrew it.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I gave my spare bed and dresser and nightstand away and turned the spare room into my sewing room. Alas, my kids have been horrified! Now, when they come to visit, I put them up in a hotel and they don't like it. They want to stay with me. I tried to explain that the room sat empty 360 days a year and I now use it every day sewing. They feel like orphans. It use to be my daughter's bedroom. The other bedroom is our computer room and my husband's room he uses to get ready for work...he's a railroader and carries a lot of things and wears a lot of clothes. But, my kids can't get over the fact that I love sewing so much that I took out the bedroom. Even though I put them up in a nice hotel.
Good for you!! Why keep a room for them and do without using it most of the time. Tell them they are grownups now and just need to get over it. All my kids within a half hour drive from us and never spend the night. I share my small sewing room w/four cats and use my dining room when I need to.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 PM

We built an oversized garage last year and I got a 10' x 19' sewing room completely contained. I have a pocket door that I can close when not in use, and thankfully, my husband does not do woodworking in his part of the garage.

I have two windows, wall to wall carpeting and I purchased 2 china cabinets, a dry sink, and another curio cabinet at an estate sale to store fabrics, etc. I use shelf units also to store fabric. Everything seems to stay clean except for the occasional "dust bunnies". I have a ceiling fan, cam lights, a TV, radio, and 4 sewing machines. The only thing I would like to add is a window air conditioner for the warmer months. I am very happy with my "woman cave"!!