Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing the sash and cornerstones

I am working on sewing my sandwiched quilt together. My sashing is a very deep burgundy color and the cornerstones are a very light beige color. I am stitching along the sashing using a thread color that is the same burgundy color as the sashing. When I get to the lighter cornerstones, do I change the color of thread or do I keep going in one solid straight line the entire length of the row? If I sew along the cornerstone I am going to end up with some burgundy thread showing on the beige fabric, is this okay? Thank you everyone for your assistance. Happy Quilting.

~Carol~

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Most people allow the quilting to show.

Thank you for asking. I had the same question. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

Kas
    Take some of the scraps, piece them however they fit, and then make a mini quilt sandwich. Quilt with the thread you are thinking of using in the big quilt to see how it looks. I always try to do the sample in the same fabrics as my quilt top so I am sure I like the thread or tension. Please show us when you have decided!

I decided to go ahead and use the darker thread and stitched a straight line straight from top to bottom catching both sashing and cornerstones in the same color. It actually doesn't look all that bad ~ well, except for the wobbles in my line, lol. I have never actually stitched a sandwich so my lines are a bit wobbly every now and again. I will try to post a picture tomorrow of what I am working on. Thank you for your assistance.

Power Poster
    I don't change threads!

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    That dilemma is exactly why I use invisible thread when stitching in the ditch. Wobbles, of course, and changes in color everywhere in my scrap quilts. Don't know if it's the "quilt police" way, but I like the finished product better.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62
    Thank you for asking. I had the same question. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.
    What about using a variegated thread? If not for this quilt, then an idea to keep in mind for future projects.

Pam M

I think the darker color would look nice framing the beige.

Quote Originally Posted by huggabug123
    I am working on sewing my sandwiched quilt together. My sashing is a very deep burgundy color and the cornerstones are a very light beige color. I am stitching along the sashing using a thread color that is the same burgundy color as the sashing. When I get to the lighter cornerstones, do I change the color of thread or do I keep going in one solid straight line the entire length of the row? If I sew along the cornerstone I am going to end up with some burgundy thread showing on the beige fabric, is this okay? Thank you everyone for your assistance. Happy Quilting.

~Carol~
    Is this the seam you are talking about or topstitching? Still, I think I would use the burgundy either way. Love to see your quilt and what you decide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast