Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit down long arm >

Sit down long arm

Sit down long arm

Old 06-27-2016, 05:38 AM

If you are limited in space they are a good option, but if you get one, check into a quilt suspension system, This helps hold the weight of the quilt so you don need a big table.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I just bought a Juki in March and I love it....
Old 06-27-2016, 08:03 AM

Might check out Innova's sitdown model too. They're in TX but will ship................of course.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:56 AM

I'm with Doggrama - I bought the Bernina Q20 and I absolutely love it! I chose the Bernina for several reasons - the 20" of throat space, width-adjustable Koala table, BSR built into the throat plate (makes it easy to do ruler/template work), local dealer for support/service, previous experience with Berninas, uses regular Bernina feet, and sewing machine needles.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM

I have a Tin Lizzi. It has a large throat area. There are no feet with it. It's taken me a long time to learn how to use it as they only do FMQ.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:09 PM

A couple of the ladies said all you can do is FMQ with a sit-down machine. Have you tried the Westalee Templates? I'm having a lot of fun with them, and get some beautiful results.

I vote for the HQ Sweet 16. But most quilters prefer quilting without the stitch regulator -- it isn't the best. It attaches to your quilt and regulates by how you pull it around on the table.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 PM

I have the Tiara II by Baby Lock sit-down and love it. I can do free motion and ruler work. I LOVE doing ruler work on it. It came with an oversized table that holds a large quilt.

Didn’t have the nerve to try free motion a first, but after using some of the rulers I am graduating to free motion. You don’t have to load your quilt onto any frames. You do have move the fabric instead of moving the machine. Here is a link to the manual. It shows a picture. http://babylock.com/quilting/tiara2/
Old 06-28-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
A couple of the ladies said all you can do is FMQ with a sit-down machine. Have you tried the Westalee Templates? I'm having a lot of fun with them, and get some beautiful results.

I vote for the HQ Sweet 16. But most quilters prefer quilting without the stitch regulator -- it isn't the best. It attaches to your quilt and regulates by how you pull it around on the table.
I don't have the stitch regulator on mine - never even tested it, so I don't know how it would be different. I was already doing FMQ on my domesting with the feed dogs down so got used to not having any regulator I guess. I can't imagine attaching it to the quilt honestly -- that would be weird to me!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:10 AM

Thank you ladies for all the valuable advice
I have been going to Quilt fest for over 25 years and though I was not in the market for one, have tested and kept notes I took of the displayed sit down long arms for at least 5 years

I like several of them but the Gammil always stood out; expensive but that's not what I go by
It was quieter, and the stitching beautiful

It does not have a stitch regulator per say but does have a variable speed stitch, constant speed stitch, basting stitch, adjustable stitch speed for all modes
It has a mega sturdy table w ample space to work
I'm claustrophobic so this is important

It's been my dream to own one

Learned about the Bernina Q20 from online searches and tested one in Humble, TX Monday this week
Impressive!! Beautiful too

BabyLoch Jewel another contender, sat down and played w one yesterday AM

Tested the HViking and the Pffaf last Sunday and those include a stitch regulator that u drag around w the quilt -those do not work for me
I did like that their tables are adjustable, sit or stand up

Purchase has not been made as I am still researching and evaluating user reviews but I do want to own one soon. Love to FMQ ❤️👍

Thank you

Last edited by FabQuilter; 06-29-2016 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 PM

Default Tin Lizzie

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I have a Tin Lizzi. It has a large throat area. There are no feet with it. It's taken me a long time to learn how to use it as they only do FMQ.
Penny I have a TL Long arm too. I'm in need of help, if you're willing please PM me. Thanks a bunch!
Jeri