Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
snowballing a block >

snowballing a block

snowballing a block

Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Because I am usually sloppy, making accurate snowball blocks was a challenge that it took a while to overcome. Follow Jinny's directions on the Missouri Quilt Co Youtube presentation with this added step. Pin the little square so it won't slip while you are sewing. When you get it sewn, use the 1/4 inch seam indicator on one of your short rulers to get an accurate cut. After I started doing that, I got lovely snowballs--most of the time. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by Mimmis57 View Post
Does anyone have any advice for making the corners on a snowball block? I've tried the regular way; putting the square on the corner, sewing on the diagonal and pressing back but my just don't turn out well. They're all uneven. Please help! I just got a cute charm pack with all kinds of fruits and vegetables and I thought a bug jar quilt would look cute. I can paper piece it I suppose but I'd rather not do that. It seems like a lot of extra work. There are a lot of little squares in that package! Thank you all.

Barb
Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM

I just finished a full-size snowball quilt with 4" snowballs in the middle surrounded by 8" snowballs. It was my first try with them and while the corners didn't turn out perfect by any means (I used the technique you mentioned but blamed the lack of perfection on my being too lazy to draw each sewing line like the directions say!), when I went to put them together it all worked out just fine. I didn't even trim the corners before sewing the blocks together. I'd say, do the best you can and RELAX!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by HilaryK8 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhSWmkxfczU

Does this help? I just searched "snowball quilt block." in youtube.
Ok so that would really help a lot to iron them first then you will have a true sewing line.