Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So happy helped a new quilter get started >

So happy helped a new quilter get started

So happy helped a new quilter get started

Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 PM

That is so special. I hope she enjoys quilting, and that it because a life long hobby for her.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 PM

I think that is very nice and very wise :)
Kirsten
Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 AM

That is wonderful that you are teaching her.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 AM

Enjoy her! What pattern did she pick? Keep us posted.
I have only 1 daughter who was a disaster in home ec and only grandsons.
Denise are you going to the Columbus show in June?
I`m from Canada and have my hotel booked.
Can hardly wait.
Gale
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 AM

O I LOVE teaching from the very first second they are interested.... LUCKY GIRL YOU ARE! Can't wait to see how she does... O and I am SOOOOOO jealous of you right now!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 AM

Wow,

I wish my MIL was 1) able to craft with me or 2) interested. She never was a crafty person but now she is suffering from dementia and not able to remember much!

I have always loved crafts and have introduced myself to many.... but I have to say, the next best thing to a quilting friend is this board.... I have learned so much in the few weeks I have been on here..... and you are all the best enablers to stash buying I have ever known - LOL LOL LOL!

I wish you and your prospective DIL (if I can say that) a very happy and crafty future!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 05-03-2010, 03:14 AM

Im so green with envy! You have someone to share ideas with in your sewing room and soon you will be swaping fabric and patterns with her! You know how excited shes going to be once she gets started, you gave her Quilt Pox!(LOL). I still dont know anyone here, I have thought about going to Jo-Anns, and striking up conversations with the women at the calico wall, then I thought it would be too much like a bar scene, "you come here often?" "nice fabric, are you a quilter?" "I will show you my stash if you show me yours". It just seemed a lil creepy for me, so I will sew alone for now.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:09 AM

Hi Gale,

Yes I am going to the show in June, I beleive I will be there on the first day, Thurs. or it might be Fri. what ever the first day is. a group of us from our guild goes. anyway maybe we can meet up somewhere at the show. have you ever been? it is a great show.

Bonnie is making Christmas Ribbons out of the book Scrap-Basket Surprises by Kim Brackett. I love this book. When she gets it done I will post pics.

Hi Caroline, thanks, not sure about the DIL part , wouldn't mind it. They are both 31 never been married. We will see.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
Im so green with envy! You have someone to share ideas with in your sewing room and soon you will be swaping fabric and patterns with her! You know how excited shes going to be once she gets started, you gave her Quilt Pox!(LOL). I still dont know anyone here, I have thought about going to Jo-Anns, and striking up conversations with the women at the calico wall, then I thought it would be too much like a bar scene, "you come here often?" "nice fabric, are you a quilter?" "I will show you my stash if you show me yours". It just seemed a lil creepy for me, so I will sew alone for now.

Hi mygirl66, have you joined a quilt guild? that is a great place to meet quilters. Not all of them will be your cup of tea but the way i got to be friends with other quilters was I chaired a committee and these 5 other ladies volunteered to help me , they had never had that many volunteer at one time for just one committee. Anyway it turned out we all get along so well we started a mini group on a different night so we can get together and share, our guild is more a business meeting, our mini group is more learning and sharing. I had belonged to this guild for years on and off and heading a committee is what made the difference. I volunteered to chair another committee(our raffle quilt) and the same ladies are on that with me too. We go places together and enjoy each other company, it is great to share your love of quilting with others. Our oldest gal is 71 and our youngest is 43.

Also, local quilt stores are good. even if you have to drive a ways to get to one, they may know of other quilters in your area that shop at their store. When I first moved here that is how I found my quilt guild.

Another idea is go to the county fair and see if there are any quilts on display. sometimes there are quilters sitting and demonstrating, we have gotten several new members to our guild by doing this.

I will keep you in my thoughts hoping you will meet some wonderful quilters.

take care
Denise
Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 AM

OH, how wonderful. I have a daughter, but she wouldn't know which end of the needle to thread!! (good thing she doesn't come on this board!!) I have 3 sons, but no DIL's. I would love to be able to share with someone who wants to learn. It would be so much fun!