Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Solids

Do you use solids in your quilts? Which brand do you like most and why?
    Thank you all for your answers!

Blog Entries
    i use some solids..usually Kona. i like the rich looking colors. Joanns has them. and you can order on line..all quilt shops carry solids.

I rarely use solids, I prefer tone on tone. I think it gives a quilt a a nicer look. My favorite is Robert Kaufman's "fusions". I have many colors in my stash.

Solids are impossible to find locally, so I have to buy online. That means Kona cotton. I have a color card from Hancocks of Paducah to help with color selection.

Some of the colors seem to fray more during applique, and sometimes it's a bit harder to hand quilt through them.

I'd love to have a local source for cotton sateen, too. That would make a spectacular quilt!

If I need a dense solid I use Kona but I prefer to use a Moda marble whenever possible.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to find solid's locally. Recently I had to go to Niagara Falls,NY to Joann's to get some... I found out when I was cutting out the quilt, I don't have enough and I'm going to have to go back and get some more!!!

I liked the Kona brand from Joann's and I have no idea what they sell up here.

Theresa

Banned
    [quote=Borntohandquilt]Do you use solids in your quilts? Which brand do you like most and why?

Like other responders I like Kona, fusions and Patrick Lose (spelling?) Playing with Marbles. I think he now designs for Timeless Treasures since leaving Moda.
    I also use real solids when I'm looking for a sharp sophisticated look.
    Lately, I've been buying my solids, thanks to this Board, from Marshall Dry Goods. Their fabric quality is good and the prices can't be beat. $2.99/yard and $3.99/yard for 108"wide solids (which comes to less than $2.00/yd if you do the math).
    http://www.marshalldrygoods.com

Solids in a quilt give it a total different look. You see the patterns more. Therefore you have to challenge yourself to use them more. We had a week retreat with Gwen Marston that was only solids. Loved it. I will try to post my daughters quilt that she made. Mine is still just a top. lol

My LQS just in some Moda Bella solids in fat quarters. They are so pretty! I've got to find a use for them so I can justify buying them!

I consider tone on tones solids!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast