Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Solids >

Solids

Solids

Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM

I totally agree. That class sounds very informative. I use marbles and tone-on-tones, also; but, there are times when the pattern needs that extra crispness that a mottled or tone-on-tone fabric can't quite deliver.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I always use a least some solids in my quilts. My favorites are kona cottons. Blenders are pretty too.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:15 AM

I hate solids so naturally my daughter gave me three patterns for Mother's Day with a request for Christmas quilts...and since they are vintage video game screens, they have to be ONLY solids. I found all of the 37 colors/shades that I needed on Equilter.com.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 AM

I prefer marbles or fusions for the most part, but I have used kona black several times. A narrow sashing of black makes sharp colors really pop.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 AM

I love the tone on tone or splotchy fabrics, Love them, but yesterday was in Joanns and picked up some quilters solid, that was the name on them, apparently Joanns, I don't know. But I got a few yrds, on sale, that is why I bought them. Otherwise I am a toner gal.

Rita
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 AM

Tone on tones and marbles are great, but when I want my hand quilting to really stand out, solids are what I use.

Janet
Old 05-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I use solids occasionally....I love the Kona Cotton too, especially when I have a JoAnnes 40 percent off coupon!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gramakitten
Solids in a quilt give it a total different look. You see the patterns more. Therefore you have to challenge yourself to use them more. We had a week retreat with Gwen Marston that was only solids. Loved it. I will try to post my daughters quilt that she made. Mine is still just a top. lol
Don't you just love Gwen Marston? I love to use solids. I've seen a lot of people using Kona white and Kona ash for borders and basically they go with so many fabrics (of course). A clerk at one of my favorite quilt shops said she doesn't like Kona as much as P&B solids for applique because it frays (Kona has a lower thread count).
Old 05-13-2010, 05:13 AM

I was using a lot of black for awhile. I wish the special was still on I found a 5 yard bolt for 17.00. Wish I had bought more . I still have some 3 years later and its great quality. I have wandered away from solids too. Mostly because this year I am doing the "finish UFO" thingy. Need to get back to sewing. These 2 little foster chihuahua's take a lot of time. More than puppies. lol
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 AM

I don;t use many solids bit keep a supply of JoAnn's synphony on hand at all times. They closed our store near me but I can always order it. Works great onbacking for kids donation quilts.