Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solids

Do you use solids in your quilts? Which brand do you like most and why?
    Thank you all for your answers!

Blog Entries
    i use some solids..usually Kona. i like the rich looking colors. Joanns has them. and you can order on line..all quilt shops carry solids.

I rarely use solids, I prefer tone on tone. I think it gives a quilt a a nicer look. My favorite is Robert Kaufman's "fusions". I have many colors in my stash.

Solids are impossible to find locally, so I have to buy online. That means Kona cotton. I have a color card from Hancocks of Paducah to help with color selection.

Some of the colors seem to fray more during applique, and sometimes it's a bit harder to hand quilt through them.

I'd love to have a local source for cotton sateen, too. That would make a spectacular quilt!

If I need a dense solid I use Kona but I prefer to use a Moda marble whenever possible.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to find solid's locally. Recently I had to go to Niagara Falls,NY to Joann's to get some... I found out when I was cutting out the quilt, I don't have enough and I'm going to have to go back and get some more!!!

I liked the Kona brand from Joann's and I have no idea what they sell up here.

Theresa

Banned
    [quote=Borntohandquilt]Do you use solids in your quilts? Which brand do you like most and why?

Like other responders I like Kona, fusions and Patrick Lose (spelling?) Playing with Marbles. I think he now designs for Timeless Treasures since leaving Moda.
    I also use real solids when I'm looking for a sharp sophisticated look.
    Lately, I've been buying my solids, thanks to this Board, from Marshall Dry Goods. Their fabric quality is good and the prices can't be beat. $2.99/yard and $3.99/yard for 108"wide solids (which comes to less than $2.00/yd if you do the math).
    http://www.marshalldrygoods.com

Solids in a quilt give it a total different look. You see the patterns more. Therefore you have to challenge yourself to use them more. We had a week retreat with Gwen Marston that was only solids. Loved it. I will try to post my daughters quilt that she made. Mine is still just a top. lol

My LQS just in some Moda Bella solids in fat quarters. They are so pretty! I've got to find a use for them so I can justify buying them!

I consider tone on tones solids!

I usually use solids or splotchy, tone on tone, whatever I can come up that matches prints I'm using. Don't know the maker nor do I care. Matching is more important to me.

I very rarely use solids. I use solids for the cornerstones in the sashing of the square in a square scrap quilts I make. Other than that I prefer marbles or a tone on tone.

I like to use tone on tone and (as one poster called them) splotchy fabrics more than true solids.

My favorite line is Robert Kaufman's Crystals (I think that's the name of it). It's a splotchy one. There is a dark blue that I am absolutely in love with, and our LQS carries the whole line.

Blog Entries
    I prefer tone on tones too. :D:D:D

I am in a solids only phase right now. They are hard to find, but my daughter found me a bundle of fat quarters in Purl in NYC, and on my last trip I found a jelly roll of solids too. I don't care for a name in particular, because my quilts are rarely utilitarian, mainly they are wall hangings that will never be washed. I only get them at LQS, so the quality is always good.

Pam
    When I want solids, (I use mostly batiks) I drive 2 1/2 hours to an Amish shop! If it is a rainy day, better take a flashlight, no indoor lighting! They price fairly and are friendly to us "English". I have a few Amish friends, so get up there several times a year.

Banned
    TRY GOOGLING "SOLID QUILTING FABRIC" WITH THE QUOTE MARKS. (caps inadvertent)

The well-know on-line vendors are pretty reliable. I've had mostly good experiences; some, however have rotten service though good cloth.
    If you find sources who have what you want PM me and I'll tell you my good or bad.
    Also, not sure if Plattsburg is near Quilting by the Lake in upstate NY; I haven't gone in several years (too pricey now)but I know they've moved from Morrisville.
    Their quilt camp is usually in July/August for 2 weeks. If you're 1+1/2 to 2 hours away it's very worth a day trip. Great vendors and one of the very best quilt shows around.
    I just looked it up; located now at Onondaga Community College. I see that Nancy Crow is back as a teacher this year. I love her work. All the teachers have a quilt in the show, one of the reason it's so good. She's a tough broad but I learned alot from her critiques when I took a week long class with her about 10 yrs. ago.
    http://www.quiltingbythelake.com
    Also, I just read the Amish suggestion. There's a shop in Indiana: Gohn Brothers; I think they're Mennonites, that sell solids reasonably prices. I seem to remember they have an on-line presence

I avoid solids. I will always pull them out of a kit and add in a tone on tone or a marbled or something. I just don't like working with solids.
    If you went through my substancial fabric stash, the only solids you would see are the ivory Kona cotton that I sometimes use for labels. Other than that, there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    When I want solids, (I use mostly batiks) I drive 2 1/2 hours to an Amish shop! If it is a rainy day, better take a flashlight, no indoor lighting! They price fairly and are friendly to us "English". I have a few Amish friends, so get up there several times a year.
    Are you talking about Miller's Dry Goods south of Arthur, IL? I hit their store frequently. I also go to the Stitch N Sew in downtown Arthur quite a bit. I like their selection of fabrics too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramakitten
    Solids in a quilt give it a total different look. You see the patterns more. Therefore you have to challenge yourself to use them more. We had a week retreat with Gwen Marston that was only solids. Loved it. I will try to post my daughters quilt that she made. Mine is still just a top. lol

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks so! Sometimes you just NEED a solid. :)

I totally agree. That class sounds very informative. I use marbles and tone-on-tones, also; but, there are times when the pattern needs that extra crispness that a mottled or tone-on-tone fabric can't quite deliver.

I always use a least some solids in my quilts. My favorites are kona cottons. Blenders are pretty too.

I hate solids so naturally my daughter gave me three patterns for Mother's Day with a request for Christmas quilts...and since they are vintage video game screens, they have to be ONLY solids. I found all of the 37 colors/shades that I needed on Equilter.com.

I prefer marbles or fusions for the most part, but I have used kona black several times. A narrow sashing of black makes sharp colors really pop.

I love the tone on tone or splotchy fabrics, Love them, but yesterday was in Joanns and picked up some quilters solid, that was the name on them, apparently Joanns, I don't know. But I got a few yrds, on sale, that is why I bought them. Otherwise I am a toner gal.

Rita

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast