Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
soooo frustrating >

soooo frustrating

soooo frustrating

Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
She is a pastor's wife...not at my church and a very sweet lady but i just cant do it for that price...when i told her i couldnt do it for that price she acted like she was offended...so what am i supposed to do? just give in an do it for that? anyways just had to get that out and hope that some of you can relate
One option (if you itemize on your taxes) would be to make the table runner and "donate" it to her church. You can take the material costs, etc., as a donation.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM

I just had to come here where you all would understand....I had this lady ask me today about making her a table runner....she wants the spicy spiral table runner or one with stars...every time she comes over she oos and aahs over my quilts. So i told her i would be more then happy to make her one....here is the kicker...she wants to pay 12.00....ummm there isnt any way to make it for 12.00 unless i am wrong, if someone knows something i dont please fill me in....She is a pastor's wife...not at my church and a very sweet lady but i just cant do it for that price...when i told her i couldnt do it for that price she acted like she was offended...so what am i supposed to do? just give in an do it for that? anyways just had to get that out and hope that some of you can relate
People who don't quilt have no idea as to the cost of fabric and the amount of time involved in cutting and piecing even before you get to the quilting! Explain to her gently exactly what is involved - the cost of the fabric; the hours involved. I'm sure she will understand if you go into detail. I think it's just ignorance that produces this reaction. My sister is a craft person but doesn't do patchwork and quilting. She had no idea of the cost involved until i explained it all to her!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
Take the pattern out, show her the fabric requirements and go on-line to show her the cost of the fabric. Go on a site like thousands of bolts and put all the necessary fabric in the "cart" and show her the total with shipping and tax. Don't forget thread and batting. When she sees that it can cost alot just for the materials, maybe she will understand.
I think this is a great idea! :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM

I just made a deal to have my entire yard landscaped for one double bed quilt. That said, maybe the two of you could go shopping together, so she will know why $12 is not enough. Maybe she has a talent that she could trade for a table runner? If not, explain that you can't afford to 'donate' it to her. In this economy, she is being unrealistic and insulting. IMHO
Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM

I just had to come here where you all would understand....I had this lady ask me today about making her a table runner....she wants the spicy spiral table runner or one with stars...every time she comes over she oos and aahs over my quilts. So i told her i would be more then happy to make her one....here is the kicker...she wants to pay 12.00....ummm there isnt any way to make it for 12.00 unless i am wrong, if someone knows something i dont please fill me in....She is a pastor's wife...not at my church and a very sweet lady but i just cant do it for that price...when i told her i couldnt do it for that price she acted like she was offended...so what am i supposed to do? just give in an do it for that? anyways just had to get that out and hope that some of you can relate
Fiddlesticks, no don't give in. I don't know about her husband's salary package, but I do know lots of other preachers and their salary packages, and many of them have more disposable income than any teacher I know. I am a retired pastor and I know about preachers' compensation packages. froggyintexas
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM

when my BFF told me she would make me a quilt-I jumped on it. We went fabric shopping and I ended up with over $300 for material-got way too much. She said so at the time.

But they were all so pretty!!

She has since taken me to the dark side and I do my own quilt DH asks how many I need. I gave him "the eye" and said as many as I want.

Since I am still at the beginning stage, I am not fast but want to make small quilts for the local hospital and shelter.

She may not have known the cost but educate her
Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Take her to the quilt shop with you and let her know what she picks out she has to pay for, surprise ! do you still want a top?? people who don't quilt have no idea what it cost to make even the smallest thing.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 AM

I am so sorry you are in this bind. I have become very careful in responding to requests from others. Most non-quilters/sewers have no idea of the the cost in time or materials to make even a simple project.

I would not make her a table runner for $12. It just cannot be done...your time alone is worth more than that! If she insists on knowing how much it will cost, be sure to allow enough for the fabrics, and your time in selecting them and your time for making the runner. Chances are, the price you come up with will make her feel faint and end the matter.

AND REMEMBER, fabric is expensive and your time is worth something. Don't allow yourself to be taken advantage of by her or anyone. Be honest with her about the "real costs" and see where it goes. You do not owe her an apology if it is too costly for her.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 AM

You could do a good deed and tell her to purchase her fabric and thread and you will make it for her...no charge. She will soon realize the high cost of materials.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Twelve dollars for fabric, time and labor is ridiculas. It is amazing that people always underestimate the cost of hand - made items. Give her an estimate in writing such as the cost of fabric and labor. Because she is a minister's wife doesn't mean she has special privelages. Your hourly rate should be at least minimun wage. In WA I believe it is 8:00 an hour.