Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
specialty rulers? >

specialty rulers?

specialty rulers?

Old 11-16-2017, 10:57 AM

Default specialty rulers?

whacha got? I've read so many times here "no more specialty rulers!"

I was just tracing down a tempting ruler, the Creative Grids mini pineapple ruler...oh so tempted to run off and buy it.
I reeled in my brain, but it makes me wonder what you all consider a specialty
and have you ever used it?
Was it a impulse purchase or thought over?

I have the small and medium twister rulers I haven't used, but I'm looking forward to it

I just purchased a Folded Corner Clipper by Prairie Sky Quilting, hopefully eliminating wasted hacked off corners
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 AM

I am a make do person, so I don't have many specialty rulers. I just have my regular 6x12, and squares in 5,8,12,15 inches, a setting triangle, a companion and easy angle triangles, and a 60 degree ruler. I seem to be able to to most of the quilts with these and rulers don't temp me as much as fabric.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM

I only have a few ... I have the square and triangle rulers for Dear Jane, then I have the Easy Angle triangle in 2 different sizes. I bought the Easy Angle when doing a Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt and I thought I would go ahead and try the ruler. I DO like using it for HST's.

Oh ... I also have one of the June Taylor slotted rulers for cutting multiple strips. I bought this one online and when I got it I didn't like it. I found it too flimsy, and not really long enough. I never even took it out of the plastic!!

Other than that ... I have almost all of the Creative Grid rectangle and square sizes, including a little 2" X 4" rectangle that my LQS had made with their name printed on it. I make a lot of quilts with small pieces so this little ruler gets quite a workout.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

One thing i liked about Eleanor Burns of Quilt IN A Day was that she has her rulers and shows how to use them but also how to use the every day rulers we all have.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:18 PM

I definitely think a lot about it before I buy any rulers. I've been quilting for ten years and I only have a 6x24 ruler, the Dresden ruler, a flying geese ruler and I just got the Simple Folded Corners Rule for the upcoming Bonnie Hunter MQ. I would really like a 12x12 squaring up ruler too, but for just a piece of plastic, rulers cost so much!
Old 11-16-2017, 12:51 PM

I love specialty rulers, however I do try to make sure it actually does something I don't already have a ruler that will do it as easily. That is the main reason I did not buy the Folded Corner Clipper ruler - I didn't see where it would be an improvement over what I already have.

I am more likely to pick up a specialty ruler if I see it, if I have to order it, I'm going to think about it a lot more before doing so. Unless MSQC has it, then I'm more likely to toss it in the cart with my next order.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:01 PM

When I first started quilting, many moons ago, I must have thought I needed a ruler for every block made. Most of them are still in the package unopened! The last ruler I remember buying was by Marti Michell called wonder triangles, which I've used a lot. With BH mysteries I used a number of those unopened rulers. Today, I do not buy specialty rulers, period. If I can't figure out out how to do it with what I have, I don't do it. As it is written: "There's nothing new under the sun".
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

I love the Folded Corner Clipper by Prairie Sky Quilting. One of my favorite specialty rulers. I use it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjD3AKiSyPw

I have really enjoyed the Creative Grids 30 degree Starburst ruler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYLIVgDaChU

I don't feel guilty having a lot of speciality rulers. Sometimes I buy a ruler for the pretty color. If I use one for one pattern then it's worth it to me. My problem is remembering what ruler does what.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-16-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I bought the X block ruler a couple of years ago but haven't used it yet. I bought the simply Curve ruler and I have used it but not for its intended purpose.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I have some, not sure without seeing them what there names are. I had the June Taylor strip cutter, didn't use it much now I have almost wore it out. I use it very often now. Love it.