Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
specialty rulers? >

specialty rulers?

specialty rulers?

Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 PM

Now the JT strip cutter is one I bought long ago, and used, then for some reason stopped, maybe that 'out of site, out of mind' thing. Don't know, but picked it back up a few years ago, and OMG, where has it been! lol. If I cut more than two strips, I use it. I just wish they made it large enough to cut WOF with one fold and a few more strips wouldn't go amiss either in the length. I use this almost as much as my 6x24. So much so, I hadn't considered it a specialty ruler.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:34 AM

Jaiade - there is a larger June Tailor ruler that will cut WOF! It only has 2" increments, but I find that I can cut a lot of what I need with that.

Storing it is a bit of a challenge - it's big! But I love it, use it all the time.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I used to complain about specialty rulers but some are really helpful I'm finding out. I bought that pineapple one you mentioned- will use it after the holidays. The days are flying by!!!
But I don't have a lot of them. Just a few that I like.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 AM

That larger JT sounds nice - except the part about 2" increments. I know there are ways to re-position to get other cuts, but at that point I'm probably faster using my 8.5x24 ruler. I do love my stripology ruler, but find I cut at 1.5" and 2.5" most often.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:24 AM

Most of my specialty rulers were bought on a whim from Deb Turner. It is hard not to buy if you stand there and watch her demo those things. I do use the square up and the flying geese rulers, but I have a few other expensive ones that have never been out to play....one of these days though. I do avoid the one size - one block rulers though. My frugal side just balks at that.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 AM

I bought the JT 12" shapecut, and then found the stripology ruler on sale at a show and bought that. Rarely use the JT one now.

Long rulers - I have a second 36" olfa on the bed of the long arm for trimming quilts. Two of the three Omnigrid have been replaced with Creative Grids as they are ones I use a lot. My favs are the 8.5x24, 3.5 x 24 and 6.5x12.

Triangles and a few others - most of these I do use except the two omnigrid in the upper right corner. Never could figure out the markings, and now I have the Easy Angle and Companion Angle which are basically the same thing.

When I started making quilts I got in to using wedge rulers, so bought a bunch of them at different angles. The two Quick Circle rulers are rather new, and I just used the smaller one for the first time this weekend. This group is stored in a drawer because I don't use them very often.

Then the squares 20.5", 16.5", 12.5" and then 9.5" to 3.5" in inch increments. Then two for trimming specific patterns. I got the lower one because I was desperate for an 8.5" ruler after miss cutting a few crazy quilt blocks using my 9.5" ruler and that was all my LQS had. It's been replaced so I may never use it. Not sure why I have the one above it . . .

The lower right is a 5" square with marks at the 1/8". I though I'd like it more than I do.
The upper two are omingrids in sizes I use a lot, so I replaced them with Creative Grid rulers.

The one I use the most is probably the 3.5" square.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-17-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:38 AM

I treated myself recently to the Cat's Cradle ruler. I've always loved that block but it is not easy to do. The ruler makes it very easy with perfect results. I gave away the Twister. I didn't like that the quilt couldn't be done in blocks or some order to make it easier to deal with smaller sections. Had to get out the whole piece to add on to it. Just not what I enjoy doing. I've always been cheap about buying quilting supplies but am cutting myself some slack these days.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 AM

I'm still thinking about that mini pineapple ruler...even though I am perfectly capable making a pineapple block come out prefect.

want vs. need want vs. need

Macy, that looks like a herd of rulers I sold 3/4 of mine last spring, with my weird sight problem they just weren't usable anymore.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

My rulers look like macy baby's but I also have a ton of the patterns and books that I bought to go with them. LOL ... I use them to mark quilts for quilting too. So they are double duty to me.

I have them displayed on top of an eye level cabinet, so I get to enjoy the advantage of seeing them almost every day. I also have a drawer of templets and quilting westalee's. I figure why not, this is my hobby and I want every advantage of the tools of my trade.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-17-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

kalamaquilts - which rulers are easy (or easier?) for you to use now?