Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
specialty rulers? >

specialty rulers?

specialty rulers?

Old 11-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I love love love Quilter's Select rulers. They are all basic sizes, no specialty ones. Many in my guild with sight problems can see to cut using the QS rulers. No glare, no slippage, and very thin lines that show up on all fabrics.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:41 AM

I probably have too many rulers from many companies, and you know what, when I need a ruler I have it. its like scissors, you can never have too many
Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
kalamaquilts - which rulers are easy (or easier?) for you to use now?
these are my every day basics. I can see to use the blue omnigrip just fine, nada on the yellow and green ones.

The Quilt in a day are new to me. I have to use different colored mats also, depending on the color I'm cutting.

What you see straight, I see crooked, so much care is required

All my specialty rulers are clear and clearly marked, and I use all of them I have.
Attached Thumbnails sharyn-ruler.jpg  
Old 11-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Actuallly, I see "crooked" with one eye, too - but it's for a different reason that you do.

I had a "hole" -don't remember what the first part of the description was - and it was surgically repaired - and where the "seam" is - lines are crooked.

When I am "seeing" with both eyes, my brain "repairs" the crookedness.

I have problems with the vision tests - I have to turn my head to find a "good spot" to see with my left eye.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 PM

I don't buy too many specialty rulers but have purchased a couple rulers from Missouri Star when I see how lovely Jenny Doan's quilts turn out using certain rulers. And I just purchased the Creative Grid Pineapple ruler from LQS when they had a big sale. I bought the bigger one which I can make a 6", 8" and I believe a 10" block. Anxious to try it as Jenny Doan did a tutorial on it.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:07 PM

I’m a gadget girl. I buy almost ever new ruler available & encourage others to do so. If it makes life easier & piecing more accurate-why not?
Old 11-18-2017, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
That larger JT sounds nice - except the part about 2" increments. I know there are ways to re-position to get other cuts, but at that point I'm probably faster using my 8.5x24 ruler. I do love my stripology ruler, but find I cut at 1.5" and 2.5" most often.
If she is referring to the JT shape cut pro it has 2.5” slots so one can cut blocks or strips in 2.5” increments. The shape cut does 1/2” increments. I have both but am not much of a quilter and haven’t used the pro much. I wore out the smaller one and had to replace it! Here’s the pro.

http://www.joann.com/june-tailor-sha...0aAhvpEALw_wcB
Old 11-18-2017, 05:43 AM

The BlocLoc half square triangle ruler is one of my favorite specialty rulers. It is for squaring up your half square triangles. I had sworn off of specialty rulers until I used one at a guild charity sewing day. I actually pulled it up on my phone while still there and ordered one. I have several specialty rulers that I have never used. My SIL bought a yarn shop several years ago. They had a quilt shop upstairs at one time. She found a bunch of rulers in the back room. She sold them to me for $25. Several $100 worth of rulers. I pull them out from time to time. Rarely use them.
I just wish some of the patterns had more info when you purchase them. Sometimes they say you need a certain ruler. Wish it would give info on whether you can make it without the ruler.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:29 AM

I love specialty rulers and the different designs they are capable of doing for my quilts. Of course I realize that I may never get around to a pineapple quilt, but if I decide to do one, I have the ruler for it from Missouri Star. Always be prepared is what I say!! LOL
Old 11-18-2017, 07:09 AM

I have two Creative Grid rulers I purchased at a class where they were demonstrated but I haven’t yet used them to make a quilt and I have a set of Bloc Loc rulers that I use all the time.