Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash >

Stash

Stash

Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Seven years ago, as a new quilter, I took a "color" class at local quilt shop. We had to bring 3 sets of 40 DIFFERENT fabrics cut into 1-1/2" squares. I dropped the class because I didnt' have 40 different fabrics and never thought I ever would.
Guess what? In 7 years you can collect a lot of fabric. Every time I visited a quilt shop, I spent soooo much money. Had to have a little of everything. I sew quilts for Project Linus and many people give me fabrics now. Sewing room is full. Does anyone have a problem with putting things back where they should go? Every year the week between Christmas and New Years I thoroughly reorganize sewing room. After about two projects, it is a lost cause again. I store fabrics by color in "banker" boxes (cardboard filing boxes). Store them in wire like "bookshelves." The only problem is, can't see the fabrics. Had them on open shelves, but got too dusty. What do you do with your stash?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:10 AM

My friends think I have a large stash, but I think mine is fairly tame. I have two 60 litre plastic containers, and the fabric is stored there. So it's not large enough that I need to sort through on a regular basis.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:58 AM

My DH had a carpenter comee in a build me cupboards for my stash as he was tired of seeing all the boxes sitting around. lOL then I purchased those plastic drawers that Walmart sell and have three of them to put additional fabric in. So my room doesn't look too bac now. Marge
Old 04-24-2010, 04:05 AM

I sew for Project Linus also. I keep those fabrics on a separate wall but of course I get into my stash wo match if needed. LOL. I have to organzie once a month. I go thru and cut out Kits for our meeting and mess up a lot. LOL. Everyone knows I sew for PL so I get lots of donations also.
Last year I went to HOuston Quilt festival and worked the Project Linus booth with Carol Babbit. Went to the convention in Illinois two years ago. Love PL.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I keep mine in a large dresser. The problem with that though, is seeing whats in there! I would love to have a nice open cabnit, with a ton of shelves, so I could stack it all nice!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 AM

I have the large like 48 or 56 Qt clear plastic containers that I put mine in. I've sorted by color and on the ends of the containers I've labeled them by color. I found a cute font of cross-stitching and made my color labels up with them and colored the word.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-317.doc (22.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Mine are in clear plastic boxes. Dust free and easily seen.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 AM

My fabric is organized by color on bookshelves. To keep them clean, I bought some clear vinyl @ JoAnn's (it was cheap) and tack it up at the top of the shelves. I also have it over my wall mounted thread caddy. Another great storage item I bought @ Home Depot was a shoe organizer cabinet. It has 24 "cubbies" which are great for rolled up FQ's, scraps, etc. Also have the vinyl over that.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:28 AM

I have way too much "stash" and have gotten rid of a lot over the years. I love to quilt with chenille and sew with barkcloth (vintage fabrics) so I have probably 7 large tubs plus two chests plus two vintage laundry hampers (refurbed and made cute cover/inside bags) full. When I'm on a sewing roll my stuff does end up staying "out" too much and I hate that (also the dust). I would give anything for a "crafts" space... someday!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:40 AM

I have two build yourself pantries I bought from Kent Building Supplies several years ago to house my fabrics. I love them cause I have them all colour coded and I just have to open the doors and see everything at a glance. I have some rubbermaid containers too but I keep all my scraps in those.