Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash >

Stash

Stash

Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 AM

This thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42678-1.htm#960881

talks about Polar Notions and homemade plastic cards. It's a great way to store fabric and keep it visible. You can keep several cuts on one board. I think the Polar Notions lady told us that one card would hold around 15 yards.

Hope this helps.

Darren
Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 PM

I use the clear plastic "under the bed" storage boxes. I sort by color so at a glance, I know which box to look for a particular color. I stack the boxes, 2 to each shelf in my sewing room closet. That protects the fabric from dust and light.
I tried stacking on wire shelves in the closet, but the stack kept toppling over-too messy!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Google Goddess

would love to see photos of your sewing room

Craftybear

Originally Posted by quiltyhoop
Seven years ago, as a new quilter, I took a "color" class at local quilt shop. We had to bring 3 sets of 40 DIFFERENT fabrics cut into 1-1/2" squares. I dropped the class because I didnt' have 40 different fabrics and never thought I ever would.
Guess what? In 7 years you can collect a lot of fabric. Every time I visited a quilt shop, I spent soooo much money. Had to have a little of everything. I sew quilts for Project Linus and many people give me fabrics now. Sewing room is full. Does anyone have a problem with putting things back where they should go? Every year the week between Christmas and New Years I thoroughly reorganize sewing room. After about two projects, it is a lost cause again. I store fabrics by color in "banker" boxes (cardboard filing boxes). Store them in wire like "bookshelves." The only problem is, can't see the fabrics. Had them on open shelves, but got too dusty. What do you do with your stash?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 PM

My stash is kept in eight good sized totes. A year ago my sewing room was so bad that I couldn't stand to work in there so I thourghly cleaned and organized it. Now I go through it about every month and put everything in its place. It is so much nicer to work in a halfway clean room.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 AM

Have you considered taking off the front of the drawers?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Banned

I have about 14 large rubbermaid tubs filled; I can't see what's in them so have large labels affixed. e.g. - Japanese, novelty, background, backs etc
My cedar chest which used to have linens now is filled with batiks
I have 3 open cabinets with cubicles (shelved by colour and motif - like small flowers).

My living room was enlarged and converted into my Quilt Room when we bought the house; had a large closet with shelves built, one high enough for bolts. I have 5-8 yd pieces not on bolts piled in a corner. Lest you worry about my husband: it's a 2 family house, he lived on the 2nd floor. Divorced but good friends.

I have 2 rolling carts that have 3-6 compartments each stuffed with projects: those in process and those in planning stage, each has the pattern, thread and whatever else I need.
I have 2 large clear plastic rolling carts, 5 compartments each that have special projects, e.g. fabric appropriate for a particular friend , or wine and food good for my son's next quilt etc. These are in my bedroom - having run out of room elsewhere.
And finally, I have 6 or 7 clear plastic boxes (sold for scrapbooking at Joanns) each having quilts I'm currently working on.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I have lots of totes with fabric and a couple plastic drawer units from Walmart with fat quarters. The rest of the fat quarters are in plastic shoe boxes. DGD loves to raid those.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 AM

I asked for a bunch of empty cardboard bolts at Joann's; brought them home and cut them up (each bolt makes four 8" x 11" pieces); then I took my fabrics that I have over 1 yard of, folded it along the length of the fabric (fold to selvege) and wrapped it on each "mini bolt" and pinned a piece of paper to the final wrap with quantity. When I was done, I was amazed how much I actually have: over 90 mini bolts. It is stored in a bookcase (front covered with vinyl for dust) but it is spilling out onto my sewing table! Looks like it is time for a bigger bookcase ('cause everyone knows how difficult it is to stop buying fabric :oops: ) That doesn't include the clear bins I have in the garage (no quilting cotton there) or what is hanging in the closet (backings and flannels).
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
This thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42678-1.htm#960881

talks about Polar Notions and homemade plastic cards. It's a great way to store fabric and keep it visible. You can keep several cuts on one board. I think the Polar Notions lady told us that one card would hold around 15 yards.

Hope this helps.

Darren
That's a good thread.
If I can't see my stuff, it doesn't exist.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:35 AM

I have wayyyyyyyyyy tooooooo much stash. Some of it is in plastic bins in the garage, the rest is "creatively" stored in my sewing room.