Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: straight line quilting

Blog Entries

straight line quilting

I am going to do some straight line quilting on my machine. Do I start in the middle and work myself to the outside or go on either side going to the other side? I have glue basted and have decided to try this and not handquilt. Thanks for any comments.

dd
    I always start in the middle. Not sure if it makes a difference but that's what I have always done.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    I start in the middle, and use a walking foot.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    Always start in the middle using a walking foot. If you are doing straight parallel lines follow same rule as sewing up one way down the other. Make sure you also stop with needle down every time. I usually go from centre north south east and west then quilt rest.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Power Poster
    ​You are supposed to start in the middle and stitch outward with your walking foot so any extra fabric goes to the edge. Check your batting package for how far apart the lines of stitching can be.

I ususally start in the center and work out all four directions. and then alternate the direction of the stitching for the rest. That said- when using spray basting I do not think it really matters since the spray basting tends to hold the quilt top in place and it will not slide/move much during quilting. Also I just use my regular sewing foot when straight line stitching/SID. I can raise the pressfoot tension so I don't see much difference when not using the walking foot.

All of the above is true BUT when I do kid's donation quilts (and I do a lot of them!) I simply start at one side and work in. The next line I reverse (just like in piecing long strips of fabric.) and my quilting always comes out really well.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I never start in the middle and I always sew from the same side. As long as it's really well basted you don't have to start in the center.

I also glue baste with glue lines about 3" apart....I always start on one corner and go all the way across....and then go same direction with next line until I get that side done, then flip quilt around and do other side....if you have basted well enough, you will not have problems

First I would have spray basted, then I would start at the edge about 1/2 way along the side and go across.
    Next. 1/2 way across the end and go the full length.

After that I would continue on, wherever logical. As I get to the edge then I travel/stitch along the outside edge that will be covered with the binding to where I want to stitch next. If that's too far away, then I'd lockstitch leaving ends to bury. Then go to the next spot and start again. And so on!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast