Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stripology ruler >
  • Stripology ruler

• Stripology ruler

Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by matraina
    I did a search. It came up on Amazon but it said, "no longer available". Don't know when/if it will be available again.
    That's because the 3rd party seller on Amazon sold theirs (probably to someone on the QB!). I ordered one yesterday from the ericas.com website that Lisa Marie posted: http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools..._specialty.htm

p.s. I agree with Gigi about the evilness going on here......
    Old 12-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Well I love Creative Grids and have slowly been replacing my others with them when I can get a good deal. One of our local QS had on Friday 40% off any 1 item and I got this - haven't used it yet but watched the video and am glad I did. Basically I got it because it was the most expense one.
    Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 PM

QuiltnNan and for those that mentioned with the Shape-Cut you find the slot moving during cutting.

I believe I learned this handy tip here on the boards but it sure does help me so I will pass it along.

If I take my long Creative Grids ruler or any long acrylic ruler and put it on top of the Shape-Cut along side the cutting slot of the Sharp-Cut, it holds the fabric and Shape-Cut more solidly. I hope that I explained this so you can understand. It really helped me as I too had problems with the Shape-Cut from time-to-time with the slot moving.
    Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 AM

I have the June Tailor rulers and what I do to avoid shifting, is after I make the first cut (usually to trim off excess), I pull that first cut piece out from under the ruler and let the plastic strip drop down and butt up against the rest of the uncut fabric. It sort of makes a lip that holds it all straight. As long as my fabric was folded properly in the first place, I get extremely accurate cuts, pretty quickly.

I have the big ruler that has only 2-1/2" cutting lines and I love that thing. I also have the smaller one with the 1/2" lines. I use them both a LOT.
    Old 12-10-2014, 12:58 PM

I received my Creative Grids Stripology Ruler today!! Purchased it thru Fat Quarter Shop when they had their big Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale (backordered).

I love Creative Grids Rulers and have slowly been investing in them since I first started quilting a couple years ago. So i wanted this for my collection, and after using it and doing a side-by-side comparison, the Creative Grids Striopology (CGS) Ruler will definitely be replacing my June Taylor's Shape Cut PLUS (SC+). Here's why:

1. The CGS Ruler is sturdier and thicker than the SC+ Ruler.
    2. The CGS Ruler has their no-slip gripper strip between EACH slot. None on the SC+.
    3. The CGS Ruler has 1/4" markings horizontally, and 1/2" markings vertically. The SC+ has only 1" vertically.
    4. Just like their other rulers, this CGS Ruler has both black and white ruler markings (for both light & dark fabric)
    5. Both rulers allow you to cut every 1/2", but the CGS Ruler is wider - 20" compared to 18" on the SC+.
    6. The CGS Ruler also has a 10" (Layer Cake) square.
    7. The CGS Ruler has markings for the more popular strip sizes (1 1/2" and 2 1/2"). Ask me why this makes me happy!!

FYI - both rulers require you to fold your fabric twice salvage-to-salvage (or cold once with fat quarters).

Hope this helps!
    Old 12-10-2014, 01:14 PM

Well I am convinced. My June Tailor ruler kept slipping the other night when I was using it to square up blocks. And I could actually SEE the slots moving. ugh. Why do you people make me spend money.
    Old 12-10-2014, 01:26 PM
    Power Poster

I received my Stripology ruler a couple of days ago and also tested it out against my June Tailor Shape Cut Plus. However, my conclusions are a little different.

Regarding slippage, it's true that the CGS does not slip. However, I found that if I place a Slidelock ruler on top of the Shape Cut, it also does not slip. (Actually, this probably works using any 6" wide ruler when placed on top of the Shape Cut.)

The CGS slots are so rigid, I had difficulty using my 60mm rotary cutter in them. Had to switch to my 45mm rotary cutter. I can easily use my 60mm rotary cutter with the June Tailor mat.

It's true that the CGS ruler is wider -- 20" vs 18" on the Shape Cut Plus. However, I think this is more than offset by the height of the CGS ruler. The slots on the June Tailor Shape Cut Plus are almost 2" taller than the CGS. What I noticed when cutting Kona muslin is that, after folding the fabric twice, the CGS wasn't quite tall enough to cut strips cleanly; I had to finish by cutting the selvedge on each strip. (When I fold, I do like to leave the selvedges peeking out about 1/4"; someone who folds exactly to the selvedge ends may not have my problem.)

I'm on the fence about the markings. I actually like the less cluttered look of the June Tailor Shape Cut Plus, but there could well be advantages to the additional markings on the CGS that I just haven't needed yet.

So, my preference is to use the June Tailor Shape Cut Plus with the Slidelock ruler on top. This works better for me so far, and I think it offers a lot of versatility. I don't think anyone needs both the JT Shape Cut Plus and the Stripology ruler so, for those who already have the Shape Cut Plus and/or other June Tailor mats, the large Slidelock ruler might be the way to go.
    Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 PM
    Power Poster

I don't use any ruler without the Slidelock. For very small rulers I use the mini Gypsy Gripper. I'm not taking the chance to cut my fingers with the rotary. It's a fact that will hurt and be traumatic so why take the chance of that happening, not me.
    Old 12-10-2014, 04:15 PM

I used the slidelock on my JT ruler and it still slid. The thing is, the slidelock didn't slide off the JT ruler but even with it, there is still no anti-slip between the JT ruler and the fabric. so what's the point, other than holding it down tighter?

I actually don't like the slidelock as much as others do so that may also be a factor. I can't hold it and cut the entire length without moving my hand because it's not wide enough. My thumb knuckle gets in the way of the cutter. And yes I'm using the wider side.
    Old 12-25-2014, 08:34 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by gale

I actually don't like the slidelock as much as others do so that may also be a factor. I can't hold it and cut the entire length without moving my hand because it's not wide enough. My thumb knuckle gets in the way of the cutter. And yes I'm using the wider side.
    How are holding it? I was instructed to press down, not grab it like a handle. No fingers or knuckles in the way at all.