Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Such a frusterating day!!! >

Such a frusterating day!!!

Such a frusterating day!!!

Old 07-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Default Such a frusterating day!!!

So excited to get fabrics ready to cut for my first Bargello quilt. I sprayed all my fabric with starch and left it to dry. Then I started pressing, and the 1st 3 fabrics seemed to have stretched or something. Edges of fabric were wavy - fabric didn't lay flat. But I thought- oh, that will be ok. So I pressed the 1st fabric and put it on my 2.50 strip die (Accuquilt Go) - the first 3 came out wonky. So I continued to cut the rest of that piece and got 2 good cuts. So started with the 2nd fabric- same thing, but this time I took the rest of the fabric to my cutting table and did it by hand. That was ok. But then I checked my die and discovered it had warped. I was so upset - so started hand cutting the 3rd fabric, and I couldn't get one good cut by hand - fabric was just terrible. I decided to wash and dry the rest of the fabric to see if it would return to normal, and it has helped a lot.

I went to the little quilt store here in Flagstaff to try to find 2 fabrics comparable to the ones I had so much trouble with, no luck. My DH will have to go back to the fabric store in Phoenix this week and get more of these fabrics.
We put my accuquilt go on top of the die to see if it will flatten it out, and if it doesn't, he will have to pick up a new die for me.

Depressing to say the least. So I am having a scotch & water.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Bummer! So sorry to hear that. Sometimes the best thing is to take a break and get a fresh start tomorrow. Hope things are better next time you work on this project.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Did you wash & dry/ damp dry the material before you starched? I have noticed that some fabrics shrink when starched. I think it is more a liquid thing than starch. I have made it a practice to wash all my fabric before I use it. The wrinkled or wavy edges don't happen to washed fabric, in my experience.

I starch on the back of the fabric, let it soak in for a minute or two, then press, not iron the strip. If the fabric still feels limp. I will do a second starching.

One of the biggest issues using starch is not waiting long enough for the starch to soak into the fibers of the cloth before pressing.

hope all works out okay for you.
peace
Old 07-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Any idea how the die got warped? Left in the sun or?
Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
So excited to get fabrics ready to cut for my first Bargello quilt. I sprayed all my fabric with starch and left it to dry. Then I started pressing, and the 1st 3 fabrics seemed to have stretched .......Depressing to say the least. So I am having a scotch & water.
I'm so glad you were smart enough to have that scotch!!
What a yucky day otherwise.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Any idea how the die got warped? Left in the sun or?
I'm interested too. Don't want my dies to start warping.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:02 PM

I have no idea how it got warped. I place them length wise up against a wall, with the blade side backing another die-Just as you would if you had the die holder, which is a large, more sturdy letter holder. The first one I bought came warped but it took me a long time to realize that - much lost money on fabric. That one was replaced at no additional cost, but I have had this current one for almost 2 years now so know I can't get it replaces for free. I am so upset, because they are expensive. Sorry to complain so much. Just a bad day.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I'm so glad you were smart enough to have that scotch!!
What a yucky day otherwise.
Scotch works, it really does! My new favorite stress reliever is Bird Dog Blackberry Wishkey.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 AM

Because I can be impatient I have found that I have the best luck starching by using the following method because the starch really needs to soak into the fibers otherwise you have a mess. I spray my fabric and then roll it up and put it in a plastic bag to mellow. This is much like we did back in the day when we sprinkled clothes and ironed them. Remember the bag of sprinkled clothes in the fridge because you ran out of time? Letting them rest like this allows the starch to absorb into the fibers and you get more even distribution of the starch than you do by just spraying. You also avoid the flakes and gunky iron buildup. I just factor the sit time into my schedule and so something else in the meantime. The plastic bag keeps things moist but not wet.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:27 AM

Oh No, Marsh I feel your pain. Who knew the dies would warp. I'd say that definitely calls for a scotch and water. I would finish cutting up the strips into squares and make something else. On another day of course. Citruscountyquilter, I remember doing that with linen. It cured me of ever buying linen again.