Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern >

Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern

Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern

Old 11-08-2013, 03:18 PM

Default Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern

I am currently hosting an international high school student for this school year- with graduation in june 2014. I would like to make a quilt as a graduation/going away gift. His 2 favorite colors are sky blue and orange. I am a fairly new quilter and can't even picture these 2 colors together let alone a quilt made with them! Anyone have suggestions for an EASY :-) quilt. I have made several quilts using pre cuts since I have never been confident with accurate cutting!Precuts would be my first choice but I can't seem to get past the colors! I have done a "rail fence" as well as a patch work one with lots and lots of charms so I am not use to designing with 2 colors. Thanking you in advance!!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Find out what his favorite things are and incorporate that into a quilt also. There are many shades of sky blue and orange. You could do a rail fence in shades of sky blue and shades of orange. Attic windows would be a good one. Scrappy would work. Also.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:32 PM

You could do pinwheels???? They can be a bit tricky but if you initially cut oversize and trim it's usually not too bad. Or stars???
Old 11-08-2013, 03:37 PM

You could probably do a rail fence that would look good. I just finished a quilt in blue/orange/ and white. The blue is darker than sky blue, but perhaps it could give you an idea of what such a quilt might look like. This is a chevron quilt, which is made of half square triangles. It was a challenge for me to make, and a rail fence would have turned out looking about the same.

Okay, let me find a picture, in case it "rings your chimes."

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001549.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quikt co. posted a new video for a 2 colour quilt called Jabob's Ladder remix. It is simple to do using pre-cuts or yardage. Watch the youtube video and see if you would like to try it.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Like a rail fence, with wider middle and the same color on both sides. If you alternate the orientation of this block it looks like woven ribbons. There may even be photos under this name.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I just finished a quilt in blue/orange/ and white. The blue is darker than sky blue, but perhaps it could give you an idea of what such a quilt might look like. This is a chevron quilt, which is made of half square triangles." Dina
I love this combination of blue, orange, and white. I haven't made a zigzag or chevron yet, but I do like the pattern.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 PM

May I just say you all are awesome!!!! Thank you so much for the great ideas. I especially loved seeing the photo of the colors together! They really do go together!! Thanks!!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Dina's pretty quilt is a great idea.
But I also urge you to think about using more than one orange and one blue in the quilt you make. The two colors come in many values, using several fabrics/prints in each color will make the quilt have textural interest when you use a quick simple pattern.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Dina's pretty quilt is a great idea.
But I also urge you to think about using more than one orange and one blue in the quilt you make. The two colors come in many values, using several fabrics/prints in each color will make the quilt have textural interest when you use a quick simple pattern.
Now this is a good idea! I can visualize a Yellow Brick Road or even a Take Five done in shades of blue and orange.

Dina