Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eq7 ? >

Eq7 ?

Eq7 ?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM

Default Eq7 ?

Hello everyone,
For those of you with EQ7 I d like to know what you like and don't like about it please.

Is there a learning curve to it?
What do you like best @ it?
What do you hate about it?
Should I wait for the the EQ8?
Would you suggest I purchase it? If so why or why not?

What is the best place to purchase it from?
Thanks so much, you 'guys' are awesome and such a wealth of information,!

Feel free to add anything else regarding EQ7 and even what you wished you'd of known before purchase'

Looking forward to your answers.
LaQuita
Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 PM

I love everything but the price. I started out with quilt design wizard. It was too limiting so I bought EQ5 used. I loved it and used it for almost every quilt I made. Mainly for figuring out where I wanted to put which colors. I skipped EQ6 because of the limited activations but since EQ7 doesn't limit them I went ahead and upgraded-it was before it was released so I got a good deal on it but I did have to pay for the full program rather than just an upgrade price since I skipped a version. One thing I love it for is figuring out how much fabric. For example I had a certain amount of 3 or 4 different fabrics and I was able to figure out the best block configuration to use up as much of it as possible. I love that I can add my own scanned fabrics or find images of it online. I also have the EQ stitch plug-in so I used that to make custom quilt labels but it's pretty limiting imo (compared to other embroidery software).

I've heard of good prices at quiltinaday.com. I bought mine from planetpatchwork.com.

I didn't know a new version was coming out but if it is, I guess it's due. EQ7 has been out for over 4 yrs.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

I don't have EQ7 but I do have EQ5. I have own two previous versions.

Yes, there is a learning curve but they give you a cookbook that takes you thru all the steps.

Being able to take a quilt I like and getting the design drawn quickly. Resizing blocks are quick and easy.

Only thing I miss is the ability to do more complicated Bargello (remember I have EQ5) and the limited online fabric selection. Both have been improved in EQ7

Depending on your financing, if EQ8 comes out, then people might be selling their used EQ7.

Yes, QIAD is a great place to look. I think you need to put it in your shopping cart to see the price.

Once you get familiar with the program, you can do anything, the sky is the limit. If you want to try paper piecing, EQ will number the sections in order to be sewn automatically in a block. I almost use it every day. Just wish the company didn't take away our ability with EQ5 to be able to download the fabric available monthly.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 AM

Absolutely love it - especially changing colours - sometimes just one colour and the who thing looks different - I've had over 100 versions as I've tweeked this and that - but it's just a click. you can't do it with graph paper. Love the yardage calculations - well everything. Yes, a learning curve but follow the initial lessons to familiarise yourself with the basics (and beyond) depends how adventurous/original you want to be, as you extend yourself you'll want to consult the manual. I wish there was a facility to add balance marks - especially for curves.

Haven't heard anything about version 8 - when it comes - I'm in!

Alas, no deals in the UK so take advise from your compatriots.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
Hello everyone,
For those of you with EQ7 I d like to know what you like and don't like about it please.

as with anything - there is a learning curve. I love mine and have had EQ for 3 year - I am still learning but use it weekly

I love being able to play with colors, style, borders, redesigning blocks, paper piecing foundations, resizing blocks and high on my list is that I am currently doing a BOM that requires templates (which were very expensive) - once I draw the block, I can print out either templates of foundation pages for PPing.

There are some things in drawing a block I have not been able to accomplish - such as copping part of a block - but my guess there is a way and I have not come across it - lol.
LaQuita
I had EQ 6 and it had limited installs, so I upgraded to 7 which has a limit on "active machines" which you can manage online. I am very pleased with 7 and it does way more than I am capable of using. Unless 8 dances the jig and sings, I will probably not upgrade again. I purchased my original one from:

http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com...ls/page_1.html .

You need to "sign up" for this site by giving them your email but the price was great compared to others at the time. They send one email a week to their "specials". They do not advertise their price on EQ, so I had to call and get a quote but it is a great site for any sewing related things.

Good luck with your decision - I love mine and would not be without it.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

If you have to agonize over the price then don't buy it. The program does have a learning curve that isn't hard just takes a lot of time. Many get frustrated because they can't devote the time needed to use it the way they want to. I use it with about every quilt I make. I import the picture of the block pattern, change the fabric colors, rotate, flip, add different borders, overlay quilt designs, change the size, covert to paper piecing, and usually end up with a different pattern altogether. LOL I have used EQ since it was on floppy disc. EQ7 is amazing what it will allow you to do with a quilt pattern.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:11 AM

Yes there is, just as there is with any new software. If you are computer savvy, and don't mind reading the manual, you'll have no problems at all. If you hate reading manuals, you might be saved by the fact that there are videos and several print-out lessons that come with it. Of course, not being afraid to just get in there and play with it will speed things up for you.

Absolutely everything! Even if I have bought a paper-pattern, I always recreate it in EQ7 so I can put my own fabrics in to see if I like what I'm about to do prior to cutting. Many times the patterns that I like in books/mags/individual patterns are not in the size that I'm wanting to make. I can put the pattern into EQ7 and enlarge/reduce, put my colors in. EQ7 will calculate the yardage for me. I recently made a king-size quilt from a quilt-maker pattern that was a full-size quilt.

I also love that I can make my own appliques. I used the software to design a RAZORBACK football quilt for my pastor, who is a big fan. I used th quilt block ARKANSAS TRAVELER that I found on a website, created it in EQ. Then I imported a pic of their mascot and drew it in the Appleque part of EQ, put it in the middle of my quilt design. It turned out beautifully. EQ calculated the yardage, gave me cutting info for the block, and templates for my applique design.

The only thing it doesn't do is write the pattern.

I hate the fact that it doesn't export the whole quilt picture as a metafile. It does export a block as a metafile, but not the whole quilt. Exporting the block allows me to pull the pieces apart when I am pattern writing in my MSWORD software.

I hate the fact that, when posting to their staff on their forum, they sometimes take days or weeks to get an answer.

If you do, you may wait quite a while. I've not heard anything about an upcoming newer version. I'm on the forum and their website quite often.

If you enjoy using software and learning how to do new things that might be temporarily frustrating, I would. If you don't like software and hate being frustrated as you learn, then certainly not.

What is the best place to purchase it from?
Can't help you there. I bought my first one (EQ6) from a LQS and my EQ7 from their website.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

There's a learning curve for everything, including EQ7. I haven't heard of EQ8 being out anytime soon, though I could be pleasantly surprised. I will definitely buy it when it comes out, because I like to keep the latest versions of software that I use often. And I do use it often - for every quilt I make and for many more quilts that I hope to make, or when someone has a question on the board, or just because... What I like about it is that I can design without resorting to pencil and paper, which I find tedious after a lifetime of using computers for everything. There are some feature I would like to have that are not there (or perhaps I haven't found them) but overall it's a great tool, as important to me as my sewing machine, rotary cutter, or iron. As others have said, Quilt in a Day usually has the best price.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Yes, there is a learning curve to EQ7. If you're not willing to put in the time to understand even the basics, it will be of little use to you.

The thing I like best about it is that it permits you to scan fabrics you already own and plug them into a layout to get a sense of things before cutting into your good fabric.

It's also good for resizing a pattern and allowing you to check yardage.

The one thing that's frustrating is when I'm working on a custom layout. Resizing things is cumbersome (or maybe I've not dug deeply enough into the manual to learn what, if anything, I'm doing wrong. Still, the custom option is valuable--when you need it, it's there.

If you're ready to start designing your own quilts or wish to draw your own blocks or modify a pattern you already have, I would say go for it and make the purchase without waiting for EQ8. Upgrades are fairly inexpensive and not even all that necessary. I've heard nothing about version 8 as the company just released EQ7 for the Mac. I would think they're a little tied up with that at the moment.

I can't tell you from whom to purchase the software, but you can buy it directly from the company if you don't want to wait.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks for asking this question, and thanks to all who have answered so thoroughly. I told Santa that I'd like this for Christmas, and now I can hardly wait!