Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions >

Suggestions

Suggestions

Old 08-25-2015, 01:00 PM

I'm working on a grandmothers flower garden with 1" hexes. It transports easily and I can take a section I'm working on along with the thread, snips, needle threader and pieces for that section in a quart zip bag anywhere I might have a wait. The entire project fits in one of the tote bags I've made.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:22 PM

I have a couple things going - 1.) 1" Hexies, love to make the flowers. I am have the card board pieces that I glue them on and then stitch them together since they are so small. (I did a larger one that I just drew the lines on the hexies and then sewed them together in the flower.) 2.) Making tumbling blocks with the plastic pieces from Brandy's. It will be an I Spy quilt when it is done. 3.) I have a pre-printed hand embroidery kit for an Alphabet quilt. and 4.) I have 2 inch shares I intend to sew into a heart quilt. I have a lot of pieces cut, but nothing sewed together so it does not travel with me yet.

All of these items are ready to go at a moments notice because I need something to do with my hands. One time we went to Vegas for a few days, we had a lot planned so didn't think I would need to take anything - thus the reason I have the alphabet embroidery quilt kit. My husband asked who was going to get it - told him, who ever needed it once it was finished.

Oh, and I also have a crochet item to take. Luckily my youngest daughter loves long scarves, so I make a couple a year for her when I don't have enough light available to sew.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM

I have bright colors and whites cut into 2" squares that I am hand piecing into nine patches. If I live long enough, lol, they'll become a Jack's Chain quilt. That pattern requires unsewn seams, with all the set-in triangles between the nine patches, thus the hand piecing. So it became my portable project.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Needle turned applique... I am about to start a Hawaiian wall quilt and it has lots of needle turned applique. It's portable because you first baste the pieces on the background so you can carry it around without any pins in it. All you need is sewing needles, thread and small snips and you are good to go.

There are lots of lovely pillow patterns or you can cut your own using the "folded snowflake" method.

This lady makes it look easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1JfutOA1NQ

This is where I got my sea turtles and dolphins pattern:
http://prqc.com/patterns.htm
Old 08-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I just made a 1" gfg quilt that Charisma quilted. didn't have a car all summer, son needed it. finished it about 120 x 120 in the summer, may 20 to July 20th,. a good hand project.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:34 AM

HEXIES!!!!!!!!! Love them, super portable, can make a pillow or a quilt! Google hexie patterns for ideas of how to arrange them. It will blow your mind! It's no longer just Grandma's Flower Garden!! (and super easy!!)

https://www.google.com/search?q=hexi...w=1093&bih=482
Old 08-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Wherever I go, I have a beadwork piece that I have been working on for about 3 years. I swear I will never get that thing done. My daughter calls it my "hospital"piece, because I have sat in hospital rooms with family members and worked on it so much
Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Very interesting techniques!!
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Needle turned applique... I am about to start a Hawaiian wall quilt and it has lots of needle turned applique. It's portable because you first baste the pieces on the background so you can carry it around without any pins in it. All you need is sewing needles, thread and small snips and you are good to go.

There are lots of lovely pillow patterns or you can cut your own using the "folded snowflake" method.

This lady makes it look easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1JfutOA1NQ

This is where I got my sea turtles and dolphins pattern:
http://prqc.com/patterns.htm
Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM

My take along is usually redwork (doesn't necessarily have to be red, either. I just started one of big game animals that I am doing in forest green thread). Blocks, needles, threader, small scissor, hoop and embroidery floss all fit into a quart or gallon sized ziplock bag.

I love to keep the bags that curtains come in as they are much sturdier than ziplock bags and often better sized for small hand projects.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 PM

I've just discovered the pleasure in making penny rugs.