Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt quilt . . . All suggestions readily accepted. >

T-shirt quilt . . . All suggestions readily accepted.

T-shirt quilt . . . All suggestions readily accepted.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Default T-shirt quilt . . . All suggestions readily accepted.

I was originally going to sash every block in black. When it came down to it, I didn't want the 1 black block sashed in black. A lady at the quilt store suggested I use novelty prints to sash. I bought a few fat quarters to test them out, and here lies my predicament. I don't want the novelty prints touching each other. I thought of using the novelty prints and solid next door. That means the blocks will be double sashed. I'm just so confused....my head is reeling.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Looks good! Let me know what you decide to do. My son dropped off a bag of T shirts for a quilt! What did you use on the back of the shirt fabric? I haven't made a T shirt quilt, so hints are very helpful!
Laurel
Old 01-01-2014, 09:17 AM

I think your idea of black solid sashing is right and would not compete with the prints on the shirts. A novelty print might. Do you have a shirt to replace the black one and put the black one on the back as a decorative element? I think it is throwing your idea off. Unless you place the black one in the center? That might work.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:37 AM

" Unless you place the black one in the center? That might work." I like this idea than you could sash the black one in the novelty print.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 AM

On your black block, cut it a bit smaller than the others, border in white(narrow) then put the black sashing on just like all the rest of your blocks. It will be a double sashing but will blend in due to the white letters on the block. Pin the block up on your design board with small pieces of white and that will help you decide.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Black is what I would use but try to make the quilt as light as possible. These types of quilts have a tendency to get heavy real FAST
Old 01-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltNama View Post
On your black block, cut it a bit smaller than the others, border in white(narrow) then put the black sashing on just like all the rest of your blocks. It will be a double sashing but will blend in due to the white letters on the block. Pin the block up on your design board with small pieces of white and that will help you decide.
I really like this idea. It would look good and it would solve your problem.

Dina
Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 AM

I like your idea of the black sashing. In looking at your tee-shirts, this is what I would do: With the dark shirt in the upper left corner (Jets), I would take the other dark shirt (Hawthorne) in the lower right corner. I think the black sashing would be fine that way.

I have made several tee shirt quilts. Learned a lot along the way. First two were not stabilized and had to quilt by tying and hand quilting. Third one was double sashed and used too many shirts -- it was huge. But this one was stabilized with Pellon featherweight stabilizer (the one with the tiny glue dots on the back). It came out really nice, but as I said, we so heavy and large that I had to have it done on a longarm.

BTW, my first one was sashed with a novelty print and is very busy. The second one I used a solid khaki-colored cotton... ..much better.

Dina's idea for the black blocks like a winner.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I think I might sash with a medium blue? Blue is a guy colour and there is some blue in the blocks.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Another option is to sash the darker blocks in white, and the lighter blocks in black, and arrange them in a checkerboard. Looks like there is one block missing ... if you treat the yellow shirt (Gone Fishin) as a light block, and the missing block (lower right corner) is a light block .. you'll have 8 dark and 8 light.