Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt quilt . . . All suggestions readily accepted. >

T-shirt quilt . . . All suggestions readily accepted.

T-shirt quilt . . . All suggestions readily accepted.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltNama View Post
On your black block, cut it a bit smaller than the others, border in white(narrow) then put the black sashing on just like all the rest of your blocks. It will be a double sashing but will blend in due to the white letters on the block. Pin the block up on your design board with small pieces of white and that will help you decide.
I think this is a wonderful idea. To me the novelty fabrics would draw away from the T-shirt blocks.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM

I like DogHouseMom's suggestion of a checkerboard arrangement. I would use the solids at the top of the photo and not the novelties. What about single sashings going orange, black, yellow, or some other order.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:45 AM

I'm just making my first T-shirt/jersey fabric quilt, from my two oldest granddaughters' favorite baby clothes. What a challenge it's proved to be! All that cutting, stabilizing with Pellon feather weight...I've got 10 8"x8" squares done, but am now noticing the weight. What do more you more experienced quilters in jerseys suggest as a backing and/or inner fabric? I'm considering sashing with a good quality flannel, and maybe use it as a backing fabric as well. Does it really need an inner layer? What about machine quilting other than longarm? Any suggestions?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 PM

I would go with a medium blue or darker blue. I made one of these for each of my grandsons and I think the 18 year old had a tear in his eye. For oneteappot- I used a lightweight fusible interfacing on the back of the shirts and I did the quilt blocks in 12.5 inch squares then I made it like the fun and done quilts. I would post a picture but I don't know how. Sorry
Old 01-01-2014, 12:15 PM

I made mine like a fun and done quilt that way I quilted each block separately before sewing the blocks and rows together.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Put a tiny strip of color around the black ones and then use the black sashing strips. You will have to trim the black ones to fit if you put a color around them. Just a tiny eyelash of color.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM
yel

i have done a lot of t shirt quilts and when you sash in black it compliments the shirts rather than to distract then .......i usually sash in black and put some color in the borders .....
Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Another option is to sash the darker blocks in white, and the lighter blocks in black, and arrange them in a checkerboard. Looks like there is one block missing ... if you treat the yellow shirt (Gone Fishin) as a light block, and the missing block (lower right corner) is a light block .. you'll have 8 dark and 8 light.
Doghousemom: love your idea of lights and darks, but then doesn't that mean I'll be doing double sashing? If "A" gets white and "B" gets black, won't they touch on the sides? The more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't know the ins and outs of sashing.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by seaside quilter View Post
Doghousemom: love your idea of lights and darks, but then doesn't that mean I'll be doing double sashing? If "A" gets white and "B" gets black, won't they touch on the sides? The more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't know the ins and outs of sashing.
Yes, the way I explained it you would sash the entire block in either black or white.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:36 PM

Made couple already. Yes make sure you use stabilizer! If you have enough t- shirts- put the black on on the backing?? I did that !! I made queen size n had enough to do couch throw!!