Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-shirt quilt help

T-shirt quilt help

I just finished up a tshirt quilt top and have it loaded on the frame, I have been tons of problems with thread breaking, skipped stitches could this be a result of the interfacing I ironed on back of shirts? I have tried different needles & threds. Ideas anyone?

My guess is yes...there are other threads on the board about tshirt quilts, since I've never done one I'd say to start there until an experienced Tshirt quilter can help. T-Shirt Quilts (Tutorials, Articles, Videos) Enjoy! If this doesn't show as a link, you can copy paste. You may try a search to find exactly what you're looking for. Best of Luck, H
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

You might try contacting this gal, Ranae Haddadin (http://www.quiltsonthecorner.com/contact). She is a quilting teacher and does T-Shirt quilts. Maybe she can give you some tips.

what kind of machine are you using to quilt with? what type of quilting are you trying to do?
    what is your backing? what kind of batting?
    all of these things will have to be taken into consideration in order to give you any help/advice.
    it could be you just need to lengthen your stitch length- or adjust your tension- or change your quilting plan-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Pretty sure the problem is the interfacing (Pellon~meshing) I used on some of my blocks, way to heavy. I'm using a Pfaff Grand Quilter 1200, on Imperial Frame, warm and white batting, cotton backing

Pellon 911FF interfacing works great....very soft and thin fusible.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2boys View Post
    I just finished up a tshirt quilt top and have it loaded on the frame, I have been tons of problems with thread breaking, skipped stitches could this be a result of the interfacing I ironed on back of shirts? I have tried different needles & threds. Ideas anyone?
    I am in the process of having the same problems. did you find out what was causing the thread breakage? I don't know what to do!!!!!!

there is a interfacing just for t shirts I've made two and had no problem quilting them on my machine

Blog Entries
    I would put in the largest needle you have and go very slow. I find that sometimes it is just one or two of the shirts that give me problems but if I am having trouble on the whole quilt a large needle helps.

Sorry, I am no help. I have only quilted one on my LA and had no problems at all, and it was a double sided T-shirt quilt!
    Meg's T shirt quilt some firsts

All the T-shirt quilts I made I did prior to getting my setup so they were tied.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast