Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: T-shirt quilt help

T-shirt quilt help

I just finished up a tshirt quilt top and have it loaded on the frame, I have been tons of problems with thread breaking, skipped stitches could this be a result of the interfacing I ironed on back of shirts? I have tried different needles & threds. Ideas anyone?

My guess is yes...there are other threads on the board about tshirt quilts, since I've never done one I'd say to start there until an experienced Tshirt quilter can help. http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...oy-t50599.html If this doesn't show as a link, you can copy paste. You may try a search to find exactly what you're looking for. Best of Luck, H
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

You might try contacting this gal, Ranae Haddadin (http://www.quiltsonthecorner.com/contact). She is a quilting teacher and does T-Shirt quilts. Maybe she can give you some tips.

Blog Entries
    what kind of machine are you using to quilt with? what type of quilting are you trying to do?
    what is your backing? what kind of batting?
    all of these things will have to be taken into consideration in order to give you any help/advice.
    it could be you just need to lengthen your stitch length- or adjust your tension- or change your quilting plan-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Pretty sure the problem is the interfacing (Pellon~meshing) I used on some of my blocks, way to heavy. I'm using a Pfaff Grand Quilter 1200, on Imperial Frame, warm and white batting, cotton backing

Pellon 911FF interfacing works great....very soft and thin fusible.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2boys View Post
    I just finished up a tshirt quilt top and have it loaded on the frame, I have been tons of problems with thread breaking, skipped stitches could this be a result of the interfacing I ironed on back of shirts? I have tried different needles & threds. Ideas anyone?
    I am in the process of having the same problems. did you find out what was causing the thread breakage? I don't know what to do!!!!!!

there is a interfacing just for t shirts I've made two and had no problem quilting them on my machine

Blog Entries
    I would put in the largest needle you have and go very slow. I find that sometimes it is just one or two of the shirts that give me problems but if I am having trouble on the whole quilt a large needle helps.

Sorry, I am no help. I have only quilted one on my LA and had no problems at all, and it was a double sided T-shirt quilt!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ts-t95274.html

All the T-shirt quilts I made I did prior to getting my setup so they were tied.

Blog Entries
    I use the thinest and cheapest interfacing I can find. I've never had a problem. I do make sure the stretch in the T shirt and the stretch in the interfacing go in opposite directions. As some one suggested to try a larger needle.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Quote Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
    there is a interfacing just for t shirts I've made two and had no problem quilting them on my machine
    What is the interfacing called that you used just for T-shirts?

I make and quilt alot of T-shirt quilts. When I make them I use Pellon 911F but I know other people who use the 906F from Pellon. I use a variety of threads - usually a variegated color because they look awesome on these! I have used Superior Rainbows, King Tut plus their So Fine and even their Monopoly monofilament without any problems.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-30-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: remove advertising

I helped my sister with a Tshirt quilt this winter. We were advised to us the cheapest Pellon we could find...so we did, without a problem. It went to the LAQ, batting added, and a Cuddly(Minky like) back added. The quilter never mentioned any problems.

I've just completed a t-shirt quilt and had all of the problems mentioned above but I was using a home sewing machine with a dual-feed foot, ballpoint #12 needle and 50 wt. thread. Initially had planned on doing stitch in the ditch and some squiggly straight line quilting but ran into problems through most of the process and ended up switching to free motion quilting with the largest needle out there and things went a lot smoother. Now my question: When I was sqiggly line quilting with the dual-feed foot (tried both techniques), I came across the heavy vinyl graphic on one of the blocks (shirts) and it puckered so badly that I had to take the stitches out. Now there are tiny holes where the stitches had been and am not sure if I should leave it alone or free-motion quilt slowly over that area to hide the holes? Has anyone run into this situation?
    Last edited by MRSRAB; 08-07-2013 at 01:43 PM.

I've made many t-shirt quilts and use Pellon 906F - it's almost sheer, and all you need is something to stabilize the shirt. MRSRAB, try to avoid quilting any areas with the heavy vinyl graphics - they just don't quilt well. I usually free-hand outline graphics, leaving them unquilted. Not quilting them also makes them puff out more, which looks great! I'm guessing that by the time it gets washed those holes may close up. If they don't, place it face-down on an applique sheet and apply some heat, which may help melt the graphic slightly and close up those holes. But do it carefully!

what size needle are you using? I would suggest a size UP. If I think I will have a heavier quilt sandwich, I use an 18. I try to do a test piece and get my tensions to my liking. Jamie Wallen has a wonderful youtube video on machine quilting tensions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM This has saved me more than once!

I just had a shredding issue...turns out I had my top tensions too tight. PM if you want...
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I am working on a Tshirt quilt & the thread has been breaking every 6-12 inches--I tried everything, changing needle, thread, etc.....then I remembered something I read a wk or so ago abt a lady who was having trouble with thread breaking while doing some embroidery work. She placed wax paper for the area she was stitching and no more breakage, the wax paper lubricated the thread & needle. I was doing stipple work so I thought I will give it a try & it worked like a charm. I wish I knew where I saw the tip so I could pass a thank you sooooo much to this lady, I torn off a sheet and pinned it over the area to quilt and then tore away when finished. I used 50 wt Aurifil thread in the bobbin & on top & used a 90/14 size embroidery needle----I will always keep wax paper in my sewing room for problem stitching in the future---Pls pass this tip along, it has really been a life saver for me.
    Charlotte aka softpatches
    GRITS
    Olive Branch, MS

I've done a number of T-shirt quilts with a lot of different threads, cottons and mono poly. I've used the Pellon interfacing F911, which is a featherweight fusible 22" wide, also used the cotton woven fusible 45" wide. I've used size 16 or 18 needles and have had no problems. Sounds like it might be the type of stabilizer you are using. It could be the adhesive is a bit too sticky on the needle causing the thread to drag then hang up and break. The thread does not feed smoothly down the groove on the front of the needle.
    OzarksGma